Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock

• larrycavan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2007 14:26 #106670 by larrycavan
Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock was created by larrycavan
Kawasaki is back, teamed up with Rob Muzzy to compete in NHRA ProStock with a zx14 based bike. It's like a breath of fresh air. :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2007 15:12 #106678 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock
I'm most interested in how Rob does with the ZX14 in 2007. I'm a bit fuzzy on NHRA's Pro Stock rules; is the rulebook more equitable to 4 cylinder, 4-valves per cylinder motors in 2007?

Thought the Suzukis use the Ward 2-valve heads to gain additional displacement over the 4-valve, 4-cylinder displacement rule.

• larrycavan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2007 17:54 #106713 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock
BohicaBob wrote:

I'm most interested in how Rob does with the ZX14 in 2007. I'm a bit fuzzy on NHRA's Pro Stock rules; is the rulebook more equitable to 4 cylinder, 4-valves per cylinder motors in 2007?

Thought the Suzukis use the Ward 2-valve heads to gain additional displacement over the 4-valve, 4-cylinder displacement rule.

I thought the exact same thing. In fact I had a discussion about that last night with a motor head friend of mine. Based on what I read on Muzzy's web site, I'd have to draw the conclusion that NHRA go their head out of their...well you know where...and things may be balancing out.

I have to think that Kaw and Rob wouldn't venture down a path of pointless frustration...let's hope not anyway...

Should be a good summer for guys like us Bob!

More
18 Jan 2007 20:33 #106732 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock
This all sounds very good as I'm tired of the 1200cc Suzuki's vs the 4000cc Harley competition. (little exageration, but ya get the idea). I'm afraid though the day NHRA get's their head out of their *** is never going to happen on a mass scale, but every little bit helps. I can't imagine why any racer would compete in that rediculous organization. This coming from a guy that lived and breathed NHRA back in the 70s and 80s and even raced a few seasons. No more, as they are greedy evil money mongers that I won't give one dime too. Ought to be a strike by all the racers to boycott the SOBs. OK sorry, but they get my blood boiling, the bastards. I get these letters asking for money to help injured racers. I'm all for that, but why doesn't the NHRA help? Lets say they take in 2 million dollars or more per race in just spectator revenue, this doesn't include the racers entry fees, then the purse is $500,000 of which about $300,000 is sponsor money. A couple million or more profit every race and all they care is more rules to rip off the racers more every year. Hell to them all. Ok rant over, again sorry, but that damn bunch of criminals are worse than the IRS.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
18 Jan 2007 21:15 #106736 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock
I agree 100% with Ron but it's kinda of a trap. You can't race without them and you hate to race for them. Whatsa guy to do?

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
18 Jan 2007 23:12 #106746 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock
I always thought that prostock ran older GS and KZ engines with the advantage going to the 4 valve heads on the Suzukis. Is the Muzzy bike an air cooled 2 valver or is he using a ZX14 motor? Kawis always ruled drag racing till development of the Suzi 4-valve head caught up and overtook 2-valve heads. Do not Suzis rule prostock and top fuel these days?

More
18 Jan 2007 23:31 #106748 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock
Late model plain bearing 16 valve motors now allowed 1650cc.

Jay

More
19 Jan 2007 12:10 #106847 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock
RomSpaceKnight wrote:

Do not Suzis rule prostock and top fuel these days?

No. S&S v-twins that resemble Harleys rule ProStock and Pumas that resemble Kawasakis rule Top Fuel.

;)

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

• larrycavan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2007 18:07 #106907 by larrycavan
I believe the most competitive Suzuki's have all been 2 Valve Vortex head motors....Recently I saw a port mold of a downdraft 2V Suzuki head that was supposed to be Pro Stock....I haven't followed it closely in a long time for many of the reasons stated by others....With my team back in the game I'll be watching it though...

Here's a thread about the rules...take it as you see fit for accuracy...

www.labusas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78980

• wireman
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2007 18:18 #106911 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock
too many freakin rules,ive always been a fan of heads up run what ya brung,and hope its enough racing myself!:evil: B)

More
20 Jan 2007 07:01 #107008 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic Kaw Back in NHRA ProStock
Larry, thanks for the link but it's closed "because Fever500 is threatening Legal Action!"

But I did find this link among many via Google: NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle Adjustments

At www.nhra.com/aboutnhr/classes.htm I learned that:

"Pro Stock Motorcycle
Pro Stock Motorcycles have differing weights depending on engine combination - 575 pounds for Kawasaki, 590 for 92-cid Suzuki, 615 for 101-cid Suzuki, and 615 for Harley-Davidson and V-Twin, including rider - and have a maximum wheelbase of 70 inches. Bikes must be 1998 or later models and retain their stock appearance, including a front fender, simulated headlight and taillight, and manufacturer identification on both sides. The engine and body make must be the same. All motorcycles must pass NHRA body inspection prior to competition."

Well, seeing what's out on the track in this class, the rules must be cast in jello. Where's my magnifying glass anyway?

Post edited by: BohicaBob, at: 2007/01/20 10:26

Post edited by: BohicaBob, at: 2007/01/20 10:27

Post edited by: BohicaBob, at: 2007/01/20 10:28

• larrycavan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Jan 2007 08:47 #107032 by larrycavan
I don't understand Bob? When I click on the link it takes me right to the thread.