Seal replacement-shifter shaft, clutch release shaft, output shaft

More
27 Nov 2005 18:03 #10527 by bluegill
Can't tell from the archives, the manual, Clymers or buykawasaki.com how big a deal it is to replace the seals around the shifter shaft, clutch release shaft, and output shaft on this bike. I've got a leak from one of the 3 so I thought I'd hit them all.

The archives have several posts, but the methodology seems to be different on different bikes. Anybody ever been through it on this bike?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2005 04:24 #10598 by OnkelB
Assuming you´re talking about your 750 it´s not that hard. All 3 seals sit in the transmission cover, what you do is drain the oil, remove the shift lever, sprocket cover and front sprocket, then you can remove the transmission cover, pry out the seals and install new ones. There´s a seal kit available, can´t remember the price but it´s not too expensive, you´ll also need a new gasket for the transmission cover and obviously new oil.

The hardest part is probably getting the transmission cover off and get the gasket surfaces clean, 25 year old gaskets tend to be sticky - I tapped around the cover with a rubber mallet until it broke loose enough that I could get a screwdriver in and pry it off (take care not to damage the gasket surfaces, easy does it) - note that the cover is held in place with two dowel pins, so go easy with the mallet.

I have an engine apart atm, so let me know if you need any pics.

Post edited by: onkelb, at: 2005/11/28 07:25

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
28 Nov 2005 04:56 #10602 by bluegill
Thanks, that helps a lot. It figures I just put on a new sprocket and shift lever, adjusted the clutch, changed the oil, etc.

More
28 Nov 2005 05:09 #10607 by OnkelB
bluegill wrote:

It figures I just put on a new sprocket and shift lever, adjusted the clutch, changed the oil, etc.

:laugh: To quote Bruce Hornsby: That´s just the way it is. Get hold of the parts and change the seals next time you change the oil - at least you know the sprocket nut won´t be frozen.

More
28 Nov 2005 05:48 #10614 by wiredgeorge
I was talking to a friend on Saturday about leaking gaskets and he noted that some gasket mating surfaces seemed almost polished where others still have cut marks on them after I complained about having to fix leaks on one of my bikes. I have two KZ900s with engine cases of unknown origin on one... The one bike has never leaked a drop of oil but the other has seeped, weeped and leaked at all the engine cover locations since I have owned it. Used the same gaskets and cleaned the mating surfaces the same but the one that leaks is a shade rougher... I have used thicker hand made gaskets in some locations along with Hondabond HT to stop leaks...

The inner sprocket cover on the bike that leaks has been a challenge... I have started using a product called a "gasket sealer" from NAPA. Comes in a blue spray can and looks like red paint when sprayed. It is to be sprayed on both mating suraces as well as both sides of the gasket and allowed to tack up a bit before bolting the gasket down. It works GREAT!

I have also noted that THE most common cause of oil leaks in the area you note is from your stator cover where the wires come through the thick rubber block. Clean the entire area before replacing any seals and spray it with powder type deodorant... the leak will soon show itself in the powder. Could be you are diagnosing the leak wrong... if it is a seal (there are three in the inner sprocket cover), it isn't very difficult... pry out old seal and press in new after removing the cover. Use a NEW gasket on the inner sprocket cover and I recommend some of that NAPA spray gasket sealer.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 Nov 2005 05:53 #10616 by bluegill
Thanks George. The deodorant trick sounds like a good start since I'm not really able to tell where the oil's coming from with any certainty.

More
28 Nov 2005 06:02 #10619 by OnkelB
wiredgeorge wrote:

I have also noted that THE most common cause of oil leaks in the area you note is from your stator cover where the wires come through the thick rubber block.

George, this isn´t a problem you´ll see with the 650/750 fours, they run the alternator dry. If there´s a little oil in there (you might find a tea-spoonfull) it´s usually due to weeping crank seals.

Post edited by: onkelb, at: 2005/11/28 09:03

More
12 Jun 2007 06:55 #148659 by boomboom45
im trying to do the same as bluegill, fix an oil leack from that area, and i replaced the gasket, replaced the shaft seal, and i still have a leak, noticed last night after i put 2 quarts of oil in the case. would rtv black, and some gear grease fix this, or do i need a whole new gasket and new seals?