new member bike build

More
10 Jan 2007 01:05 #104632 by monzaguy
new member bike build was created by monzaguy
high guys from the great white north. Been hard at work on my FIRST ever bike. Own a 1980 KZ440 that I got at a garage sale this summer.Waz running on one cylinder and realy looking her age, no dought brought on by previous owners having left her outside year round. The rattle can blue paint job (with bulldog decals)was the first to go.I painted her a flip flop purple which changes to bluish gold with greenishbrown, well sort of depending on where the light hits her.While stripping and painting and waiting ,I sent the seat out for reupholstery.Got it back in time for Xmas.Motor needs bearings,cam,sprockets,and chain.Rebuilt the forks and tossed the cracked dust boots and seals.Stripped frame to bare metal and gave that agood coat of 97% zink primer.Havent made a desision on what color to use on it yet.Wife says use up the rest of the flip flop,but I may just go with basic black.Any ideas guys? Still have the rims to do as well,....but this is a Winter project.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2007 05:53 #104648 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic new member bike build
Howdy... sounds like a fun project. Suggest you add some pics and put this thread in the "Projects" section. The thread really isn't engine related. Cheers and good luck.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Jan 2007 05:56 #104649 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic new member bike build
Too add to Wg's post, also interest yourself in getting a signature to show what bike you have and you location, if you feel like it

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
10 Jan 2007 06:13 #104654 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic new member bike build
Welcome to KZR, we're all here to help each other. Personally I'd go with gloss black on the frame...;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
10 Jan 2007 09:17 #104693 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic new member bike build
Welcome aboard man :)

Im thinking of stripping down my 440 to paint the frame, get it looking nice before I sell it.

Anything I should know about stripping down to frame? Any pitfalls/sensitive areas or is it just a case of remembering where all of the bolts go? :o

More
10 Jan 2007 15:19 #104801 by monzaguy
Replied by monzaguy on topic new member bike build
Whats a signature,sending pix as soon as my kid gets round to showin me how.Im barely computer literate.sorry about posting jn wrong forum.Desperatly need a cam for this KZ440.Any ideas on how big one can go and where to get one? Also rough idea on prices. By the way Im up here in Calgary Alberta CANADA,which explains bad pitting on the engine.Anyone know the best way to get this fixed?

More
10 Jan 2007 16:50 #104812 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic new member bike build
A signature is what you see below everyone posts that says where they are from, what bike they have and so on. It helps people know what bike you are talking about. It also helps people who live close to you get in touch if they want to help turn some wrenches or go for a ride. I vote for black frame. Flip flop on the frame might be too over the top. I would go with the black on the rims as well. Do you have the mag wheels? If so they look good in gloss black with the edges sanded to make the aluminum stand out.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.