Possible solution on retaining kick starter with rearsets

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
31 Dec 2006 10:11 #102628 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Possible solution on retaining kick starter with rearsets was created by RetroRiceRocketRider
About 2 years ago I lucked out and scored a really nice used set of Raask rearsets on eBay for my KZ650.

I really love the riding position! But having them mounted on my bike has created a slight problem.
I can no longer use my kick starter since the right side rearset assy is in the direct path of the kick starter pedal travel. :(
The peg does fold up, but the bracket and brake linkage is actually what is in the way.

I had thought of just making a longer kick starter boss to place the pedal far enough out to clear the rearset. Of course I'd obviously need to fab some kind of brace/externaly mounted bearing support to compensate for the added leverage it would place on the kick starter shaft to prevent premature seal wear and/or engine damage.
But that in itself seems like over-engineering something so simple.

Anyway!
While talking to wagonmaster on the phone the other day about our KZ's, something he said gave me a great idea on a possible solution.

I'm thinking of trying to fab up something similar to the forward controls used on cruisers.
Placed just slightly forward, the kick starter could have just enough clearance to be functional, but not so far forward as to make it a PIA to use.
A "new" kick starter shaft/pivot for the pedal would be welded to the frame, and then using a couple of small heim joints and a piece of all-thread, have it run back and attach to a bolt-on boss that mounts to the original kick starter shaft/pivot point.
Unlike the original bolted-on kick starter pedal design, when not in use it could actually be stored under the seat like on the 900(?) to keep it out of the way and to keep the bikes appearance from becoming cluttered.

I know others have simply used rearsets from a current sportbike and mounted them higher up and further back to allow use of the kickstarter. But I don't think my trashed knees can handle being bent any further than they are with the Raask rearsets, so going that route really isn't a feasable option for me.

So, does anyone have any reasons why this can't/shouldn't be done, or any suggestions to improve on the design itself? :huh:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2006 11:02 #102631 by 77KZ650
I think a sketch of the idea would help, Im not sure if Im picturing it the way you are

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Dec 2006 11:46 #102635 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Possible solution on retaining kick starter with rearsets
Ok, but keep in mind, this is a VERY rough sketch! :pinch:

LINK TO SKETCH

The boss that mounts to the orignal kick starter shaft/pivot coming out of the trans would have the heim joint mounted on the bottom side, and the boss that mounts to the "new" kick starter shaft/pivot would have the heim joint mounted on the top side. By doing so, it will keep the original down and backwards motion when kick starting the bike.
Granted, the true angle at which the heim joints sit will have to be adjusted to allow a full kick and turn the engine over. But I figure that just like with the linkage on rearsets, this can be adjusted as needed to a certain extent.

I even thought of just welding the "new" kick starter shaft/pivot onto the frame a few inches forward and right below the original one coming from the engine, and then having the kick start motion go in the opposite direction - down and forward.
This actually might be an even better idea. Being smaller in size it will be stronger, and would probably lessen some of the leverage being placed on the engine kick starter shaft. And having it travel forward instead of backwards would allow a greater amount of "kick" to be applied without fear of catching my heel on something.

I'll try to get out to the garage later on and take a pic of my bike and use MS paint to draw arrows to the areas I mentioned to give a better idea of what I'm thinking.

EDIT: Danged pic size limitations! :angry:

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/12/31 14:53

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

More
31 Dec 2006 12:04 #102639 by 77KZ650
ok that could work. the only issue I see would be having enough degrees of rotation. you may not get a full "kick" out of the design, but I could be wrong. and a bike that is in good tune doesnt always need a full kick anyway, so it may not be an issue anyway

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
31 Dec 2006 12:50 #102648 by guitargeek
That's nuts! Creative, sure, but crazy!

Here's the big obvious dumb question: Why not just heat up the kicker lever and bend it out so it clears the Raask bracket?

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Dec 2006 13:56 #102670 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Possible solution on retaining kick starter with rearsets
guitargeek wrote:

Here's the big obvious dumb question: Why not just heat up the kicker lever and bend it out so it clears the Raask bracket?

For a few simple reasons.
1) It would need to be bent outwards quite a bit, since the outer edge of the kick lever currently hits about 2" in from the tip of the footpeg.
2) That's an awfully thick lever to try heating and bending! :ohmy:
3) Even if I were able to heat and bend it to a useable angle, there's no guarante that it's integrity will survive the heating, bending and ensuing leverage that would be placed on it during kick starting.
4) It would change the lever from somewhat of an "L" shape into either an "I" shape, or somewhat similar to the angle of a hockey stick.
And that would increase the amount of leverage placed on the kick starter shaft and possibly cause seal and/or engine damage, which is counter-productive to what I'm after.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
31 Dec 2006 17:26 #102706 by guitargeek
I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a pull starter from a lawnmower...

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
31 Dec 2006 18:34 #102708 by duncan
for $20, i'd try this solution:

www.tiny.cc/DYDSK

the long version......

- at least it works for 750 sohc hondas with raask rearsets:
www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=12003.0

- worth trying even though the kz650 kickstart linkage looks different:
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=1786

- in the old days, they bent the right side (gear shift) linkage to accomodate the kick starter, rather than vice versa:

img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rearsets01tr5.jpg

img396.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rearsets02uj5.jpg

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
31 Dec 2006 18:38 #102709 by Pterosaur
Don't know squat about the various clearances and angles involved, but it looks like an interesting application for a pittman arm-type setup something akin to steam locomotive drives - ...

Might help if you can resize the pics and show it from a few angles... ;)
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
31 Dec 2006 21:43 #102723 by wireman
duncan wrote:

for $20, i'd try this solution:

www.tiny.cc/DYDSK

the long version......

- at least it works for 750 sohc hondas with raask rearsets:
www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=12003.0

- worth trying even though the kz650 kickstart linkage looks different:
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=1786

- in the old days, they bent the right side (gear shift) linkage to accomodate the kick starter, rather than vice versa:

img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rearsets01tr5.jpg

img396.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rearsets02uj5.jpg

yeah that seems like a lot easier fix,and you could just fine tune it if you had to;)

More
01 Jan 2007 00:50 #102735 by baldy110
I have rearsets on my 650 and simpky thumb the starter button. Removed the kick starter about 20 years ago. Is there something wrong with your starter?

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jan 2007 04:13 #102738 by RetroRiceRocketRider
baldy110 wrote:

I have rearsets on my 650 and simpky thumb the starter button. Removed the kick starter about 20 years ago. Is there something wrong with your starter?

The starter works perfectly, however the starter clutch does slip every so often.
Basically I like the piece of mind that if for some odd reason my battery craps out that I still can start her without resorting to getting a heart attack trying to push start her. :pinch:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD