KZ750GT tapping noise in top end driving me nuts !

• highspeedjelly
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Dec 2006 23:43 #102158 by highspeedjelly
Can someone help me ?The bike has a tapping noise which sounds like it is in the top end.If you place your head on the tank at idle,it sound exactly like a one valve with excessive clearence which hammmers away louder as the revs increase.I booked the bike into a dealer to get the valve clearences done.He found a couple of tight valves but nothing with excessive clearence.
It runs like a dream now apart from the noise which is still there.
I pulled the auto tensioner out and was delighted to find it was locked up solid.I polished the faces of the wedge contact surfaces cleaned and reassembled it and made sure it was working correctly,thinking it would be problem solved.It was not.
All I can think of now is the cam chain has stretched enough to be beyond the range of the auto tensioner and maybe a manual one would do the trick?
Having said all of that,it does not really sound like cam chain rattle anyway.
Any ideas or suggetions would be appreciated.The bike has 68000ks on it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2006 07:09 #102169 by RonKZ650
Has the exhaust been removed from the head recently? Most "valve clatter" is actually exhaust leaks.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
28 Dec 2006 10:01 #102198 by Biquetoast
RonKZ650 wrote:

Has the exhaust been removed from the head recently? Most "valve clatter" is actually exhaust leaks.

Sounds crazy, but it is true. The same happened to me. I had swapped exhaust without changing the crush gaskets. The noise sounded exactly like a metal tapping, but was an exhaust leak.
Can you disconnect one of the plugs at a time while the engine is running to see if the noise stops?

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• highspeedjelly
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Dec 2006 20:56 #102290 by highspeedjelly
Replied by highspeedjelly on topic KZ750GT tapping noise in top end driving me nuts !
Thanks for help.Checked carefully but not exhaust leaking.I have to assume the dealer checked clearences correctly but it sure sounds like it is valve related.Can a slack cam chain make a noise similar to this?
:dry:

More
28 Dec 2006 21:03 #102291 by kzwolfsr
Yeah, mine has this rapping noise when cold and a guy who checked out my bike told me it could be the cam chain. I bought a manual chain tensioner to see if that will help also. I dont know if it will work yet because the engine isn't put together yet.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
13 Jun 2007 21:40 #149208 by franknsr
Oh man...I've got the same top end noise. Hoping its just the exhaust gaskets. Thanks guys for saving me a trip inside the head...I hope.

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

More
13 Jun 2007 22:08 #149211 by Patton
highspeedjelly wrote:

...assume the dealer checked clearences correctly....

Don't bet the farm. :ohmy:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD