Z1R Turbo

More
27 Dec 2006 13:29 #102043 by thebull
Z1R Turbo was created by thebull
I recently purchased a Z1R Turbo rolling chassis in perfect condition and will be restoring it to it's origional condition, or as close as I can get it.The motor and turbo are missing although I did get the original (early model)exhaust at the head and the exhaust behind the turbo. I have an extra Z1R motor I bought years ago I'll use so I'm down to needing the turbo system,intake, carb and heat shields. This is where I could use some help, I read previous posts and they have been a great help getting started. Here's where I'm at so far:
1: The origional turbo was a Rajay 370F40 supplied by ATP, I tried calling them but was unsuccessfull and their website deals only with auto applications. Apparently Rajay was bought out by turbonetics and is limited in it's availabity, I did check Mr Turbo's
website and they use Rajay, I've worked with Mr Turbo in the past and will have them supply a system if I can't reconstruct an origional.
2: Carb was a 38mm Bendex modified for the Z1RTC.
If anyone could help me with additional info or point my in the right direction I would appreciate any help. Also, I know this is unlikely but I'll ask anyway,if anyone could loan me some of the parts I'm missing I have the resourses to reverse engineer and machine my own replicas. Thanks thebull

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
27 Dec 2006 15:16 #102067 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic Z1R Turbo
bull, two ??'s...

did you get the bike from a guy here in omaha? if so, i am familiar w/it.

second, do you plan on RIDING the bike, or just building a good replica?

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
27 Dec 2006 16:03 #102074 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Z1R Turbo
The guy that wrote the article probably should have looked at the Mikuni [not Keihin] carbs a little closer....

duncan wrote:

santa brought me a magazine that has an article on the Z1Rturbo. thought you might be interested:

img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo01je6.jpg

img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo02px8.jpg

img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo03zw2.jpg

img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo04yj9.jpg

img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo05ve9.jpg

More
27 Dec 2006 16:09 #102075 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Z1R Turbo
No help, but I had a brand new Z1R-TC and it had a Zenith carb on it. I have no idea whether Bendix is the same, maybe just another name for the same part, but the Zenith was utter garbage. I probably put 75 miles on that motorcycle before I sold it, which I was very happy.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Dec 2006 21:29 #102144 by solomrus
ron, same same on the carb. when i brought my turbo bike home, it still had the bendix on it. it was in sad shape, so for grins i bought a rebuild kit for it from the h/d shop.

same/same. the atp modded version has the mounting flange rotated 90, but other than that, it's the same carb with the adjustable main.

mine only ever ran ok with the bendix on there. the hsr-42 made all the difference in the world.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
28 Dec 2006 08:41 #102182 by thebull
Replied by thebull on topic Z1R Turbo
Hey Duncan, thanks for the article, it's amazing what you can find using the Internet, with some help of course. And Solomrus, it very well could be the bike your thinking about, maybe you know if it really is a Z1RTC or just a Z1R with a few turbo bike parts thrown in, I'm not 100% sure it's the real deal. And as for riding a Z1RTC, no way, I'm going to put it away untill I can find or build the parts I need then just keep it for show. It's kind of ironic, I want to show what I personally think is one of the ugliest bikes ever produced, it's no wonder they repainted the last 250. I miss working on bikes so while the Z1RTC project stalls
I'm going to build the Z1R up as a Pro-Street with a turbo. I previously stated I own a Z1R but what I didn't say was that it doesn't run, I bought it over 20 years ago from a salvage yard, it was lit afire and burned all the wiring and parts under the gas tank, fortunatly the damage was fairly minor. thebull

More
28 Dec 2006 12:05 #102212 by solomrus
if'n it's the blue one, was on ebay, there were two c's in the name of the shop, then yeah, i know of it.

pretty sure it's a valid tc bike. the guy that had it has quite a few of them.

i had a chance to buy a molly graphics tc back in 88 or 89 for 1500... been kicking myself ever since. loved that setup.

i asked if you were gonna ride it because i wouldn't bother with the zenith carb if you are. it's performance is FAR exceeded by the hsr-42. the mikuni is superior to the bendix in just about every way. i sold off my atp turbo carb for that reason.

z1r's are sort of the kz *unicorn* to me. always loved them, always want one. will have one one day, turbo or not.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
28 Dec 2006 15:12 #102237 by thebull
Replied by thebull on topic Z1R Turbo
That's the one. I'm going to stick with the bendex if I can, I'd like to restore it to original specs. A note,
just listed my ZX12 on Ebay if you happen to know anyone looking for one,it's cherry. It's fun but I'm 6'' 250 lbs and it's to uncomfortable to ride,too much of a backbreaker, I ride a Bigdog for crusing. thebull I

More
28 Dec 2006 15:29 #102240 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic Z1R Turbo
You might find some additional info on the Turbo Motorcycle International Owner's Association site www.turbomotorcycles.org

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
28 Dec 2006 21:41 #102298 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Z1R Turbo
You should contact Hahn Racecraft in Ill. It is run by Bill Hahn jr. Perhaps he can hook you up with his dad Bill Sr. who lives in Florida. Bill Sr. was ATP. He can probably answer any questions you might have.

Jay

More
29 Dec 2006 00:36 #102305 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Z1R Turbo
Hey Bull,
A friend of mine was trying to get that bike (the TC that you have) and he's got a 'correct' turbo for it. I know b/c I sold it to him last year. Since you got the bike, and he got divorced :whistle: he might be interested in selling it. If that interests you just let me know and I'll tell him about this site and the two of you can get together.
Congrats!
-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)