750 twin exhaust besides MAC?

More
25 Dec 2006 18:26 #101735 by speedadict
750 twin exhaust besides MAC? was created by speedadict
Hi everyone. I just bought a 79 kz750 twin that is in need of new exhaust. Is there anyone out there manufacturing systems for this bike besides MAC? I haven't heard much good about them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
25 Dec 2006 18:35 #101738 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic 750 twin exhaust besides MAC?
Mac is the only ones I have ever seen Unless you buy just mufflers and use your stock head pipes .. I am using Dunstall replicas on my 82 twin ,, real nice sound :)

More
25 Dec 2006 18:38 #101739 by speedadict
Replied by speedadict on topic 750 twin exhaust besides MAC?
Bummer. My stock head pipes are Ugly. Does the Mac pipes sound good? They make 2 into 2 and 2 into 1. Which sounds better? Thanks.

• Shoe48
  • User
More
25 Dec 2006 18:45 #101740 by Shoe48
I have a Mac black system on my 79 and they sound good , I have not heard a 2-1 system .. My Dunstalls sound best though.. I sand blasted my head pipes then using Duplicolor high Temp paint I painted them black so with the Chrome Mufflers they look good .. There are other twin owners on here maybe one of them can say about a 2-1 pipe :unsure:

More
25 Dec 2006 18:57 #101742 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 750 twin exhaust besides MAC?
I have had at least a couple of Mac 2 into one systems on 750 twins, and in my opinion their only advantage is that they are lighter than the 2 into 2 systems.

I'll be using Dunstall replicas on painted stock pipes from now on :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/12/25 21:58

KD9JUR

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
26 Dec 2006 06:29 #101764 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic 750 twin exhaust besides MAC?
speedadict wrote:

...a 79 kz750 twin that is in need of new exhaust....

One of mine needs new mufflers in a bad way too.

As for head-pipes, I believe that they are only going to become more and more rare, so I have bought an old complete set that are horribly rusted just to *have* lying about. I'm with steell - just paint or paint/wrap them. I think I'll be going with the fiber wrap look this year...

I had found some old-time Jardine "flared" mufflers for one of my 750s and I LOVE them. Now I cannot find them no matter how hard I look for my other 750. So, I am actually going to try and experiment - I'm going to see if I can find some other stock mufflers out there, like from a sporty or something, and get a muffler shop to make a little curved extender so I can have it up-swept... I saw somebody do something similar on the LonesomeTwin forum....

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
27 Dec 2006 07:26 #101959 by Biquetoast
Guys, I have a follow-up question (or two) to this as well, that is not to far out of line from where speedadict was going with this:

Q1: Are all KZ bikes (notably the inline 4s) exhaust pipes 1 1/2 inch diameter?

I ask because both my twin models have 1 1/2 inch, and I'm trying to figure out what other model mufflers out there in the world would work. It looks like Harley pipes are 1 3/4 inch, and anything I try to will require a step-down pipe.

Q2: Do you guys know of a commonly available step-down (reducer?) pipe for fitting 1 3/4 mufflers on my 1 1/2 pipes?

You see where I'm going with this. Basically I keep seeing these stock mufflers out on eBay for relatively cheap, I just want to know what I can use and how...

Thanks...

(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• Shoe48
  • User
More
27 Dec 2006 08:57 #101973 by Shoe48
Most after market mufflers come with the step down pipes atleast the ones I have bought did ,, , I was able to Fab up a couple adapters from my local Advance Auto store when installing my Dunstalls ,, I made them a little longer But They offered lots of different sizes and lengths of pipes ,NaPA has the same stuff , I see what you are asking though what stock pipes can be fitted with out much mods ,, My Local Muffer shop would make me something ,, Might try something like that too ,, I have a set of ZX10 pipes and some 750 spectra pipes in the attic ??? :)I also have a two into one pipe for a twin ,, it is like a sidewinder for a twin never seen one like it ,, But it is in Bad shape :) I know But didnt hurt to ask ?? :huh: :huh: ;) ;)

More
27 Dec 2006 09:25 #101975 by chetriply
Replied by chetriply on topic 750 twin exhaust besides MAC?
Emgo makes a universal reducer for installing mufflers up to 1-3/4" id onto headpipes as small as 1-3/8". I can get them for you or any good bike shop should be able to do the same. They retail for around $4.00 and you'll need two.

I have run H-D mufflers on almost everything due to the fact that there are tons of them out there cheap. Everyone usually strips them off first thing and adds new exhaust. I have three sets in the shop as we speak!

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
27 Dec 2006 10:58 #102007 by Biquetoast
Thanks man, that's exactly the advice I was after. I thought something like that must exist, I just didn't know where or what its was called, which makes searching a drag! I found the Emgo reducers on DennisKirk, just like you said. I'll be getting some harley mufflers off eBay next. My twin shall rumble! ;)

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2006/12/27 14:00

(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
28 Dec 2006 17:55 #102263 by speedadict
Replied by speedadict on topic 750 twin exhaust besides MAC?
Ok, ya'll. I installed a MAC two into one system today. I was surprised at how easy it was to do. It sounds better than the stock exhaust for sure. It makes the one side of the bike pretty plain though. My question is this. The center stand has the rubber bumpers, and with the new MAC exhaust, the bumpers ride on the pipe. What do I need to do to limit the center stand travel...????? My exhaust came with no instructions and I don't know what the L-shaped bracket with a hole in only one end is for????:blink:

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
28 Dec 2006 19:24 #102275 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic 750 twin exhaust besides MAC?
If it's anything like the MAC system I installed on my KZ650, the rear footpeg mounting bolt should go through the hole in the "L" shaped bracket.
You'll want to angle the bracket so that the center stand pad contacts it and prevents it from resting on the chain or muffler, then tighten the footpeg mounting bolt enough to keep the bracket from rotating out of place and you're done. B)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/12/28 22:30

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ