• Page:

TOPIC:

A month ago at Sturgis 02 Aug 2019 17:27 #808624

• bluej58
  • bluej58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511

I'm sure it doesn't look like that today.

We have been back a month and I have been working like a madman so I have not got around to doing a proper report.
South Dakota is actually at the end of the trip that we took through Nebraska and Wyoming along the Oregon Trail and ending up in West Yellowstone.
Sadly Cindy Lou's bikes fuel pump crapped out and no one within a days ride in Idaho/Montana/Wyoming had a replacement, more on that later.

More South Dakota

Deadwood

Custer State Park , Needles Hy way

We met the last living guy that worked on Mt Rushmore Don "Nick" Clifford a cool old dude.

Comanche Park campgrounds

Badlands looking a lot prettier then the last time I saw it in 85 , due to all the rain
78 KZ1000 A2A
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, JR, Patton, BCScott, hardrockminer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bluej58.

A month ago at Sturgis 03 Aug 2019 07:04 #808644

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That's beautiful Jack. We're in Gardiner at the moment. Hopefully we can get out to west Yellowstone, but it might not happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

A month ago at Sturgis 03 Aug 2019 18:52 #808672

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
That's awesome Lou, the North end of Yellowstone is our favorite, there is a dirt road you can catch called Blacktail Plateau dr , It's one way and you get on it just East of the Albright visitor center off of the Grand loop road, we saw 2 Mama black bears with cubs and a very big Grizzly on that one stretch, if you go don't get out and wander around especially with out bear spray.
The stretch between Tower Junction and Canyon Village is amazing and you could do all of these sections in a day, the rest of the park is very crowded and involves a lot of walking, we spent 5 days in and around YS and could have stayed 5 more easily, lots to see , had a great time.
Bear tooth pass is on the way home if you can swing it it is a super cool high altitude pass that will get you to Cody.

Have fun!!!!

Blacktail Plateau Dr

More Yellowstone

78 KZ1000 A2A
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

A month ago at Sturgis 04 Aug 2019 02:51 #808677

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Thanks Jack! Yes, we love it. We essentially live on the northern road for about 2 weeks every march. We get in around 11pm, and head back out at 4 am. We also do a week in summer if we can.

A month ago at Sturgis 16 Feb 2020 09:35 #819436

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
Recapping the Summer on a snowy February day.
Like I said Mrs bluej's bike's fuel pump went out and with out good internet or a computer we had to wait until we got home to find out that the pump is only a safety feature and could have been eliminated :pinch:
Anyway Yellowstone is a big place and we were able to cover a lot of ground comfortably, there is plenty of picnic areas to make meals so the truck was a good thing.
We still managed to put a few hundred miles on my bike in Montana riding through Big Sky, Bozeman, Red Bluff, Ennis, Virginia City and Earth Quake Lake, Beautiful country!
West of Virginia City is a town called "Alder" where gold was discovered in 1863 , and with gold prices up they are still looking for the stuff, it's amazing how tore up the area is, it reminded me of a place in Colorado I use to go to as a kid only they were looking for gravel for roads, it also reminded me of a song by John Prine entitled "Paradise" (Peabody's coal train)
Regardless one of our favorite TV shows is "Gold Rush" and discovering a real old dredge in Alder was pretty darn cool.

Madison Valley

Galletin River near Bozman
78 KZ1000 A2A
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

• Page: