Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bill Waltermire 03 Jan 2011 12:53 #419888

• Marneman
  • Marneman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
It is with a heavy heart that I must relay the passing of a motorcycle riding legend, my friend and neighbor, Bill Watermire. Bill passed away on January 2, 2011 at his home in Dayton Washington. Bill was inducted into the Sturgis Hall of Fame in 2004.
www.sturgismuseum.com/hall-of-fame/

The following is a bio taken from the HOF website..

BILL WALTERMIER
Hall of Fame Inductee - 2004

Bill’s kids always thought it was kind of cool that he raced motorcycles. The trophies were always laying around and they would impress their friends by telling his racing stories.

To this day, Bill had always been passionate about two wheeled vehicles. He has earned a reputation nationwide as a top motorcycle mechanic and respect as a racer.

He began his racing career in 1936 racing TT¹s. He says he became an expert at TT’s somewhere around 1937 or 38, racing against men like Eddie Long, Bobby Hill, Bill Tuman and Ernie Beckman. He ran up against “the very best” once, Iron Man Ed Kretz, and got beat.

Back in the day you won a trophy or in a really big race you might win a tire. There was little money involved. Bill never ran in the Nationals because he was busy raising his family and concentrating on his business, and because the money wasn’t worth it.

He raced TT’s before the war and after the war he raced mostly flat track. Bill said that after the war racing was his form of therapy. His last race was in 1950 where he won the Inland Empire TT Championship in Spokane, Washington.

Bill’s favorite bike has always been the Indian. He still has his first new bike, a 1946 Chief, and his racing bike, a 1941 Sport Scout. He currently has 20 motorcycles, extras for friends and family. Bill seems to collect friends, bringing home people he’s just met who needed a place to stay for the night. His children remember many a night their mother would fuss because “Dad brought home another biker.” Actually though, she was always extremely proud of his generous nature and his willingness to help.

Bill’s greatest joy is teaching someone how to ride, and then bringing them along to Sturgis with him.

I will miss him very much.
77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bill Waltermire 04 Jan 2011 12:24 #420050

• z650c3
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Having read your posts it was obvious how good a friend he was and inspiring too . Sorry for your loss.

Bryan Graham
1979 z650 c3 first registered in 1981
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCR
Northern Ireland

Bill Waltermire 04 Jan 2011 13:25 #420063

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
ahhhh that is too bad

sorry for your loss...

he is racing again now for sure and with brand new tires.....
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Bill Waltermire 05 Jan 2011 04:41 #420130

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
RIP wild Bill. Seems like you just introduced him in your bike build thread. Sounds like you have a tribute bike now. Sorry for your loss.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Bill Waltermire 08 Jan 2011 13:15 #420795

• Marneman
  • Marneman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Heading to Wild Bill's memorial in a few minutes. Then back home to wrench on the bike some. He would have appreciated that I'm sure. Thanks guys.
77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

Bill Waltermire 25 Jul 2011 20:33 #464887

• russdelaney
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hearing of Bill's passing is certainly sad news, Bill, Peg Liscano & I were very close friends back in the late 1940s when we raced Indian Motorcycles, Bill lived in Zanesville, Ohio and I lived about 70 miles East of him in Martins Ferry, Ohio.

Bill was unbeatable at the Zanesville Fairgrounds 1/2/mile track, he was so quick that on occasion he would purposefully stall his engine on the starting line, then kick start it and take off after the field, and by lap 3 catch them and be in the lead on lap 4.

I talked with Bill last year and he was telling me he still had his 46 Chief and 41 Bonneville Scout plus several other bikes, I was planning to go out to visit with him this spring, but came down with a severe case of gout and was unable to make the trip, he was a great guy and will be sorely missed by many.

Russ Delaney, Las Vegas, Nevada (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)
Attachments:

Last edit: by russdelaney. Reason: Add Photo
  • Page: