Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Motor Price? 06 Feb 2023 15:17 #879861

• Injected
  • Injected's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 421
Does anyone know what a complete rebuilt running KZ650 motor goes for dollar wise? 
(new rings, gaskets,seals) polished covers etc. ready to install (minus carbs)
Don't have it done yet but I need to know if its worth hustling to get it built.
Will be similar to the picture.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Injected.

Motor Price? 06 Feb 2023 16:23 #879864

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
Currently on ebay there's loads of complete 650 motors between £195 to £500 GBP ( i'm in UK ) that have been on for ages and to be honest even if it is a minter you will probably make more breaking it as everyone wants heads, blocks and cranks etc for their own motor builds .
Vary rarely will you get back the full worth of what it owes you trying to sell the complete lump especially if you put cash in to it first.
I've tried to sell plenty of complete running motors and they don't shift until i split them and then they sell quicker and  bring more money just for the top end.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Injected

Last edit: by zed1015.

Motor Price? 06 Feb 2023 17:42 #879865

• Injected
  • User
Thanks for the feedback.

I have quite a few I could build, maybe just list one complete motor and try to shift the other top end components separately.

Motor Price? 06 Feb 2023 18:44 #879868

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1033
I have a 650 engine rebuilt and sitting there.  No idea what it would sell for.  I converted it to shim over bucket but I'm too lazy to switch out the engine currently in the bike.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Motor Price? 06 Feb 2023 19:04 #879870

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681
The engine in that photo looks unusually pristine.  To make an engine look that nice it needs to be fully taken apart, including the bottom end, the case halves, head, cylinder, etc, media blasted, then the engine reassembled while refreshing gaskets, rings, valves, polish case covers, etc.  Sounds like a $1000+ engine job to me
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer

Last edit: by Nessism.

Motor Price? 07 Feb 2023 13:08 #879881

• Injected
  • User

The engine in that photo looks unusually pristine.  To make an engine look that nice it needs to be fully taken apart, including the bottom end, the case halves, head, cylinder, etc, media blasted, then the engine reassembled while refreshing gaskets, rings, valves, polish case covers, etc.  Sounds like a $1000+ engine job to me

That is my hot rod motor build, MTC 831 kit with a big valve head.

Every motor I build is a split case deal, always need to rebuild the clutch pucks, new timing chain, check the primary chain, replace starter clutch components - The usual weak spot items.
It would not make sense to just refurbish top end components for that other stuff to fail 2 weeks later.
I don't think folks around my parts would pay $1K for a stock rebuilt 650 motor, no matter how good it looks.

Motor Price? 07 Feb 2023 16:13 #879886

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681

That is my hot rod motor build, MTC 831 kit with a big valve head.

Every motor I build is a split case deal, always need to rebuild the clutch pucks, new timing chain, check the primary chain, replace starter clutch components - The usual weak spot items.
It would not make sense to just refurbish top end components for that other stuff to fail 2 weeks later.
I don't think folks around my parts would pay $1K for a stock rebuilt 650 motor, no matter how good it looks.

Assuming you use quality OEM gaskets, seals, and internal parts, you are going to have a good chunk of money into the engine.  Not to mention the time for blasting, polishing, and assembly.  If you can't get $1k, then that sounds like a loss to me.

Motor Price? 18 Feb 2023 00:32 #880370

• Ian_B
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Injected,

This is a typical sad case of "what's it worth" vs "what will someone pay for it". Looking at the motors you've built, it's unlikely that you'll get the true value for them. The car industry realised this; I had a Toyota Avensis 2.2 diesel, bought new. There was a design flaw - wrong piston rings - that caused head gasket failure. Toyota fixed it for free - at 125,000 Km, they removed the whole engine and dropped a brand new one in. "Fit new rings, rebuild it?" Way too expensive.

All I can suggest is that you keep on building lovely motors for your own use, and if someone will offer the true value, then that's the cherry on the cake.

Ian

Motor Price? 21 Feb 2023 14:07 #880584

• Injected
  • User
People in my area are just not paying up for stuff, everybody wants something for nothing these days. Parting out is not a option, too time consuming.

I might have better luck selling a complete running bike. If it does not sell for what I want I can always ride it or park it for a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

• Page: