Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

80 KZ1000 Ltd 04 Oct 2022 18:19 #875042

• Togoster
  • Togoster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Picked up a decent stocker when the CV was getting a foothold in the US from over near Boston. I’m gonna sell it. It’s the black with silver panels and red pins and the Upper and lower case badging and in my view awful rebranding. The upper case italics was more to my liking. The panels are uninspired but you know SOME people. They want it awl thtock, (lithping a little for dramatic effect) and original. I don’t so I’m gonna get rid of it because it’s real complete and someone will like that. I’ll list it on CL I figure after the rear brake master rebuild kit nonsense that I’m dealing with lastly before it goes. I’ll figure it out or comp the price I figure. I missed the peak market but I don’t care. Stuff was selling high, you probably know that. Love the LTD so I’m gonna keep and restore an 78 and let this one go. Italics, straight black, less smog, Superbike bars, black Kerker and whatever else. Custom. This one would be too much to try to go stock in a short time and that would likely price it above FMV, but I’m a custom guy anyway. I like custom everything. They can sell it as part of my estate I figure and be pleasantly surprised. I’ll leave them a manual, a how to auction off an old motorcycle manual. Or, alternatively, keep it and ride it, especially if you like people coming up to you chatting you up about your bike at the pumps or at the market, or telling you that they had one just like it. 

That determining value post that I answered — well, replied to,  sent me down this wabbit hole. Value is perceived. It’s not a given. 

It’s more of a formula. 

It’s, in fact, custom.

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

80 KZ1000 Ltd 05 Oct 2022 07:28 #875080

• Togoster
  • User
Don’t mind me, I’m formalizing some plans. I looked back on my timeline here and it seems I’ve established some central themes. A reverence for the simple being one. Another would be comradery as in at the gas pumps with other cyclists over past times. Perfect strangers. Well, as perfect as one can get anyway. I’m sure there’s more too.

The planning is for a few projects I have in inventory not listed in my sig. The words “race replicas” keeps coming back to me and the AMA Superbike series would be the Grail. Anything I have that competed in the series would be considered and I just happen to have picked up a 74 R90S which, as I’m sure you’ll remember, Reg Pridmore ran in the first year for the win. It’s a stretch because it’s really just a frame and a block and had been sitting in a yard down in CT for who knows how long. 

Year 2 saw Reg do it again albeit on a 76 KZ900 but the Racecrafters entry interests me not and nor does the Yoshimura tribute bike a video of which is on the tube if you wanna see it. I saw a replica of this bike down in MA by a guy named Rob but he goes by Harry. It was sweet but I really like this un by these guys. And I’ve since gathered a bunch of stuff for it. The frame has been blasted, painted and sports a proper period correct front end.

rocket-garage.blogspot.com/2008/05/bol-d...-z900-fat-racer.html

Others include my GPZ and the GS750ES. The GS had been race wired for track use so it has some pedigree. It became the “ride of choice this past summer because, well, I don’t know why really, it just was but the RS, now that it’s getting chilly is going to take over I’m sure. 

I know you's guys like pics so I’ll uh, post some up. VT winters are long and if I can’t ride as long as I’m involved with some aspect of motorcycles I can be relatively happy. 

something Richard Feynman wrote in his book, “Why do You Care what People Think” keeps coming back too. “If you want to learn something, teach it”. And so it is, my course is set. Racing is all about picking points and heading for them. 

Besides, it improves the breed I’m told. 
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

80 KZ1000 Ltd 05 Oct 2022 07:37 #875081

• Togoster
  • User
Looks as if I flubbed the pics portion of the course, eh? I see no obvious way of editing the double exposure out so forgive me for wasting server storage. I’ll do better.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

80 KZ1000 Ltd 05 Oct 2022 09:21 #875088

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972

Looks as if I flubbed the pics portion of the course, eh? I see no obvious way of editing the double exposure out so forgive me for wasting server storage. I’ll do better.
For me to fix your pictures I would end up deleting your double entry  and not keeping one set .
At least you hit the insert tab as most newbies  dont and I follow along behind them clicking the insert all tab so their pictures appear fullsize.
DD

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

80 KZ1000 Ltd 05 Oct 2022 10:41 #875096

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1798
Nice rides, nothing wrong with changing it up a bit 

80 KZ1000 Ltd 05 Oct 2022 11:08 #875100

• Togoster
  • User
This is test of the pic insertion function. This is only a test.

Course #1 ((prerequisite; having a pulse)

Articulating ideas. 

I made a jig out of pipe fittings I had around the shop and some pipe I was able to thread and attach to a rolling platform. I’ve a few frames to do so it made sense and works well. My compressor is gas powered by Honda and never needs to recoup pressure. Damn rig could cut off a limb it could. Love it. 

I’ve opted to use lacquer instead of the alternatives because bikes of this era used it and if I need more durable then a urethane clear 2K would work but then I’d sacrifice the unlimited recoat ability or spot touch up. It dries so fast too and is not as hazardous to MY health. Keyword being “my”. I’ve got 3 done now and the 76 frame is blasted but needs primer and paint. I’ll post pics of a painted matte frame when I can.

I call my shop “Primordial” because it’s pretty oozie right now. I folded up my construction tent but still need to do stuff for my ex and relatives. My version of the “Theory of Relativity” varies substantially from Einstein’s. I’ll figure it out and get it all organized. It’s better than it was and soon enuf outdoor activities will ebb and I’ll be stuck inside with my projects. First time I’ve ever looked somewhat forward to winter. 
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Attachments:

80 KZ1000 Ltd 05 Oct 2022 16:46 #875123

• Togoster
  • User
These are those painted frame pics. An 82 R65LS, another forlorn and forgotten motorcycle part out if ever I’ve seen one. And I’ve seen some recently, bought some of them too. It’s not the R90 type of forlorn. That was parted out to within a hairs breath of its life and I’m gonna show y’all what was in the block with those rusty after I do this.

Wait, what was I doing anyway…oh yeah, those pics.

You know, I did a rethink on not topcoating urethane 2K and then took a rag with some lacquer thinner on it and checked 3 things, 2 KZ frames, one, a 76 and the other an 82 and it took off paint. Gas and brake fluid are harsh. I then re-wet the rag and took it too my RS fairing and it din du nuffin to it. Just thinking, er, typing out loud here. I’ll figure it out. Wrongly perhaps but then it becomes hard earned doesnt it? Love hard earned.

The plan for this one? Nah, best save that for another time. Nah, I’ll spill it now. I ain’t like that. An 800cc kit and bigger carbs. Make it a straight black R80RS fairing and livery. Solo seat. No pinstripes, doesn’t need

That short stroke crank with 10.25 compressioned 800cc and some del orto carbs and these hills will be alive with the sound music alright.  

But moreover, the frame jig articulates so I can blast and paint all areas without handling the frame which is key in reducing mishaps and extra handling. Obviously not the case here but this is just show and tell. I’ve no doubt I’ll arrive at a repeatable line to get as quick as possible to the next point in a frame up race. The drive.

Gonna make a pepper and egg sandwich and maybe I’ll be back. If not, maybe there will be a tomorrow.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Attachments:

80 KZ1000 Ltd 05 Oct 2022 17:41 #875128

• Togoster
  • User
Before we start on the drive train…what the heck is with that copper color crap they line frying pans with now anyway? Is that a “stick” coating as opposed to non. Sheezus! 

Quick Quiz, (didn’t you love those?)

How big a racket did this engine make and how long did it make it?

How concerned was the rider when it happened?

in your own words of course.

the cam follower I made into a hone because when that cataclysm occurred something dented the casting drilling for the follower. Some lapping compound on a follower that I honed with a slight taper trued the hole. Seems fine now but we shall see. 

Now, I’ll stash away this BMW stuff and get with the focus here. Thanks for the leeway. I really can’t see joining other forums and it is somewhat generic in bike related which I like. Oh, but I would like to also at least give a snippet to that GSX at some point. in the not too far off. I just don’t have it in me to give short, erm, any shrift. What a fun bike. I should do a Rumble video of that Banshee with the Kerker and the 34mm Mikuni Flatslides and pods. You’ll like that. It idles at 600 and is so sweet then becomes a real snarled bitch. Love that. 

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Attachments:

80 KZ1000 Ltd 05 Oct 2022 17:44 #875129

• Togoster
  • User

this un
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Attachments:

• Page: