Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Chain questions 07 Jan 2022 12:01 #860169

• crusierlover
  • crusierlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Hopefully i will reclaim ownership of my 82 650 csr soon.i havent owned a chain bike since 1972. Do you lube them a lot? I vaguely remember tightening one.i wonder how many years to keep a chain before replacing it? How many links is in it.does it have a masterlink? I assume so.
Proud owner of 1982 650csr again soon. keeping it this time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chain questions 07 Jan 2022 13:32 #860189

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
A chain and sproket set life time is dependent of the driving condition, like in wet/dust/dirt terrain and the periodic maintance, like cleaning, lubing and a correct chain tension adjustment. So more often you clean, lube and adjust your chain/sprocket set, so more life time you get. A fresh chain lub catch up/attractive street dirt and dust.
Cleaning the chain and sprockets every 1000 miles with diesel fuel and lube every 500 miles. Let the chain lube thinner dry out for 30 min before take off or you will slingshot the lube all over the rear wheel and frame parts, (more cleaning). A good maintance chain/sprocket set will last more than 30000 miles. The chain/sprocket set on my 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa high speed autobahn/long range touring bike was changed in 2009 (20000 miles ago) and didn´t show any massive wear at all.
(I think, the chain set will last the next 20000 miles, i hope so  ).
I my self prever only rivet chain master links, and i don´t want to bet, terminate or trust my life beyond 300 kph on a clip on master link.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Chain questions 08 Jan 2022 01:00 #860238

• crusierlover
  • crusierlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Thank you for great reply.rivet chain? So no msterlink? How you install, tke back wheel off?
Proud owner of 1982 650csr again soon. keeping it this time

Chain questions 08 Jan 2022 02:12 #860239

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468
You can have either a split (spring clip) type or rivet type master link.
Fitted correctly there is nothing wrong with using either.
The rivet type makes the chain "endless" but you don't remove the wheel or swingarm to fit.
You rivet the link once the chain has been cut to the correct length to fit your machine and hung on the sprockets.
Once fitted it usually doesn't need to come back off until it's time for a new chain.
Removing the wheel to change a tyre just entails sliding the wheel fully forward to allow enough slack for the chain to be unhooked from the rear sprocket.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: crusierlover

Chain questions 08 Jan 2022 07:08 #860254

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
This video shows how to remove and install chains with riveted master link. It is not at all difficult with the right tool. The D.I.D tool is expensive, but like any good tool, it will save money and grief in the long run.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: crusierlover, Mikaw

Chain questions 18 Nov 2022 10:45 #876952

• jesus91
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 0
While a well-maintained motorcycle chain will give you the pleasure of driving up to 20,000 miles, its ultimate life will depend on the type of motorcycle you own and how you ride it. I think these are signs that your string needs changing:
Grab the chain on the rear sprocket and try to pull it off the sprocket towards the rear of the bike. If it disappears a bit and you can see daylight between the chain and sprocket, it needs to be replaced.
A noisy string is a sign it needs replacing.
If it looks rusty, it's time for a new chain.
If any of the links are bent and out of place on the sprocket, it's time to replace the chain with a new one.
If you've reversed the wheel as far as you can to reduce chain slack, it's time to change the chain.

Chain questions 19 Nov 2022 08:03 #876973

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The 82 KZ650-CSR came stock w a 630 x 84 drive chain. Lubricate periodically & adjust the chain to the correct amount of slack as per the manual. There's a 1981 KZ650 FSM pdf that you can use for chain maintenance since the 82 is the same as the 81 in that regard. I would get the 81-82 manual as some of the specs are different & the 82 has BS32 carburetors. 

Your drive chain may have been updated to a 530, so don't assume anything until you can check it. 
I would replace the rear brake shoes.  Old old old shoes can fail, locking the rear wheel. It happened to me, so it does happen.

jarlef z650 website. FSM >> click the Files tab:
www.jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650.htm

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Chain questions 19 Nov 2022 13:14 #876978

• willemZ900
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
  • Thank you received: 52
Last winter I took a new 630 chain and sprockets on my Z1B. For the first time I decided to use a  spring clip master link. Now after 2000 km not a single problem, all well on the chain. 

• Page: