Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Trying to move my Kawi. 01 Oct 2021 17:27 #856032

• urankjj
  • urankjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 192
Moving from So-Cal to Pennsylvania very soon. That move will include my 77-kz1000. I have been informed by u-haul that the truck & trailer that I need for the move can not be secured in advance, due to inventory uncertainties. Do I have any other options. Thanks to all.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trying to move my Kawi. 01 Oct 2021 18:02 #856034

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
I recently moved from So-Cal to WA and I used Penske.

Trying to move my Kawi. 02 Oct 2021 06:31 #856053

• urankjj
  • Sustaining Member
I tried Penske, for a 22 ft truck and a auto transport trailer they wanted over $11,000 for the one way move.

Trying to move my Kawi. 02 Oct 2021 06:43 #856054

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583
If you're an AMA member, there's a significant discount to be had with Federal Motorcycle Transport.
funtransport.com/

We had a '73 Z1 shipped from OR to KY for ~$650.00 or so.  That was in 2018.  Prices might have changed since then.  We were very satisfied with the experience.  There are clearly cheaper shippers but, this was a valuable bike & we wanted a reliable carrier.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Trying to move my Kawi. 02 Oct 2021 06:49 #856055

• Shankkole
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141
Im not sure if they are available, But the "PODS" are small steel containers they drop at your site, you load, they truck and drop at its destination.It would be some work but if you are moving a lot of tools and heavy items its a good route.I hear moving $$ has doubled, I hope you find some costs saving solutions.Be Well

Trying to move my Kawi. 02 Oct 2021 07:00 #856057

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494
Beware that regular shipping services frequency move motorcycles by rolling them up against the inside wall of the truck and then securing them to the wall with with ratchet straps across the frame/body/tank/etc.  Movers did this to my bikes and bent a bunch of stuff.  When I asked them if there was another way, they just said "Oh, it's fine.  We do this all the time."  It was not.  

Motorcycle specific shipping services use pallets. They secure the bike to the pallet, and secure the pallet in the truck.  This is what you want to look for.

Where in PA are you going?  If you're near Pittsburgh, we should go for a ride.  :)

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Trying to move my Kawi. 02 Oct 2021 07:42 #856064

• urankjj
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks all. I was planning on moving the bike myself inside the moving truck, the trailer will be for my 4wd. I already have a mc stand fitted to a piece of plywood that will hold the bike, with a rear wheel harness strap that will also be secured to the stand. pic.  I think I should be ok, barring any roll-overs. It's knowing the equipment will be there on moving day that is uncertain ? Also DOCH, I be just outside of Ligonier, not to far from the Burgh.
Attachments:

Trying to move my Kawi. 02 Oct 2021 09:07 #856070

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
I would ask your local motorcycle dealers for a used motorcycle crates. They dump them in the scap metal bin anyways.

Attachments:

Trying to move my Kawi. 02 Oct 2021 15:58 #856104

• urankjj
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks, I will check for a crate as that would offer more protection from the other stuff that will be in the truck. If I can't find a crate this is about what it should loo like inside the truck, but will be double strapped.
Attachments:

Trying to move my Kawi. 02 Oct 2021 17:46 #856107

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 130
You could buy a trailer and sell it after your move. 
richmond.craigslist.org/trb/d/chambersbu...iler/7381484507.html
You may be able to find something used.
79 KZ400
82 KZ305
85 VF1100c
85 VT 500c

Trying to move my Kawi. 03 Oct 2021 13:49 #856143

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494
I've moved bikes maybe 6+ times with box trucks, using a stand made with wood and a Harbor Freight wheel chock.  

www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

I made the stand in the shape of a "T" using two pieces of 2x8 or 2x10.  The top/horizontal part of the T is about 5 feet long, and the vertical is the length of the bike.  The vertical lays over the top of the horizontal, screwed together with deck screws.  The chock bolts to the vertical (and since it's raised up the bolts don't hit the floor), and the ends of the horizontal have U-Bolts with flush nuts on the bottom.  The bike rolls into the wheel chock, and I run ratchet straps from the handle bars to the u-bolts.  I also sometimes strap the rear wheel to the vertical bar as well.  Now the bike is locked to the stand and can't go anywhere.  It's very stable and has worked very well for me.  The only challenge really is getting the bike into the box truck.  :)

All of the wood and hardware came from Home Depot.  The last time I did this I used a one-way truck rental.  I just took the chock, hardware, screws, and a drill/screw-gun, then went to a local Home Depot and had them cut the 2x10 into two pieces, then built the stand as I picked up the bike.

Of the trucks I've rented, the Penske trucks have had metal floors, and the U-Haul trucks have had plywood decking.  I have never seen a box style moving van with D-rings or tie downs on the floor of the truck.  I've only seen them with wood rails along the walls.

With the wood floors, I used 3 or 4 deck screws and just screwed my stand to the floor.  When I pulled the deck screws out I couldn't see the holes.  This is how I moved 2 bikes from Boston to Austin.  With the metal floors, I've used straps to hold the stand to the rails on the walls of the truck.  In this case I pushed the stand up against the front wall, and used the u-bolts as tie points to strap the stand to the truck rails.

It's the same general idea as the stand you have, but the arms are wider and the bike sits completely on the stand.

One word of caution.  When you carry around a stand like this, which is very cross shaped, people give you some really weird looks.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: urankjj

Trying to move my Kawi. 04 Oct 2021 17:53 #856195

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 362

Beware that regular shipping services frequency move motorcycles by rolling them up against the inside wall of the truck and then securing them to the wall with with ratchet straps across the frame/body/tank/etc.  Movers did this to my bikes and bent a bunch of stuff.  When I asked them if there was another way, they just said "Oh, it's fine.  We do this all the time."  It was not. 

I used U-Ship to transport a bike I bought on eBay. They secured it inside the truck in the way you described, but there were blankets between the bike and the truck wall and there was nothing sitting nearby. It got here undamaged, thankfully. The trip was about 700 miles and cost about $400.

The driver was a little squirrelly, though. His schedule changed a lot and he didn't always communicate but he arrived eventually.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R