Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Motor for the KZ440 19 Nov 2020 10:28 #838633

• Grcko
  • Grcko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
As some of you know, I have been working on my KZ440 for about 2 years now. I thought it was running pretty well. The couple of issues I had left to fix were that I could never quite get the air/fuel mixture set right(always lean on one and rich on the other) and the annoying tick it made when running. The last issue I asked for help was the broken bolt in the head. I fixed that by getting a new head from a friend. Then while finishing up with the new head install, I was tightening up the last bolt. This was on the chain adjuster. Turning it in was easy enough but it never tightened. Stripped? Oh no, bolt was so weak that it broke without ever getting any torque on it that I felt. So I got a ahold of the guy I bought the head from and asked him to ship me the cylinder jugs. While we were chatting, he mentioned that he was ready to sell the motor that I had been asking about. Sold! The motor is from a 1980. It has somewhere between 1300-1500 miles on it. (interesting back story to that) I spent a couple of weeks with a Dremel, brass brushes, sand paper, and polish getting it cleaned up. Installed it and it started right up. What a difference. No weird noises. Pulls smoothly in all gears. Has 149 & 150 lbs compression. I am one happy rider.
The picture of the advance cover was taken right after I removed the cover to turn it by hand.
I do have the jugs coming as well and will get into the other motor sometime in the future.
As Always,

1983 KZ440

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Grcko.

New Motor for the KZ440 19 Nov 2020 11:05 #838636

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Great job

Looking good !
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

New Motor for the KZ440 21 Nov 2020 13:59 #838724

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Nice. Still has that new-engine smell. :)

Last edit: by loudhvx.

New Motor for the KZ440 17 Jan 2022 07:02 #860616

• Grcko
  • Grcko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
Well, it has been over a year now since the motor swap and I am happy to say that all is well with the bike. I am riding 20 miles to work and back on any day that the temp is 40° or above and reasonably dry. I run between 70mph (going in) down to 5mph  in rush hour (heading home). I wanted to see what the top speed was the other day and ran it from 4th gear up to 6th gear at 8000 rpm. Hit 85 no problem with more left but with the speedometer only going to just over 85 mph I stopped there.
I want to thank you all for all the help I received from this forum. I couldn't have done it without you.

As Always,

1983 KZ440
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, TexasKZ

• Page: