Lowering 650 csr

• crusierlover
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jul 2020 14:18 #831227 by crusierlover
Lowering 650 csr was created by crusierlover
i have the coolest survivor 82 650 csr in texas.maybe in the usa.i just had a carb guy redo the carbs and the bike flies. My inseams are only 30 inches and the seat heighth is about 2 inches too high. I know i could lower the bike in front by loosening the clamps and moving down 1/2 inch or so.the back end i dont know anything i can do.change the shock mounting point with like lowering blocks,like making the socks a little less vertical somehow. The seat is the ugly hump backed version but its immaculate so i do not want to mess with it.i love the bike.the front end has a lot of rake but the wheelbase is only 5mm longer than the other versions,like the kz with the rear cowl.suggestions appreciated

Proud owner of 1982 650csr again soon. keeping it this time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
22 Jul 2020 16:38 #831236 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Lowering 650 csr
Keep in mind that anything you do to alter the front or rear can have some effect on the way the bike handles Now having said that you can push the forks up further in the trees to lower the front. You can obtain shorter shocks for the rear, or make use of blocks to place the the lower shock mount further rearward.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• crusierlover
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jul 2020 03:33 #831252 by crusierlover
Replied by crusierlover on topic Lowering 650 csr
Thats what i described doing.heres the problem..the front of the csr appears to have more rake.its only 5mm longer wheelbase.decreasing the rake by lowering the front end might adversely effect the handling.it was never designed to be a canyon carver. The rearend bottoms out now if i hit a dip.my shocks are likely original.needing replaced.13,000 miles would not weaken the springs but 38 years old might.i am guessing. I wrecked my right knee in 2001 in a total of a new vulcan.i need a low seat heigth just to swing my leg over.to me it seems when on the kickstand the bikes leans a lot farther over than most bikes. I guess i will leave it alone.i also cant figure out how to get it on the centerstand.

More
23 Jul 2020 06:09 - 23 Jul 2020 09:52 #831258 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Lowering 650 csr
You could lower it, then take some test rides to see if there's any difference. If you lower the Fr & Rr equally, the geometry should be pretty much the same, except the wheelbase would be shortened some.

An alternative way to lower the front would be to install shorter fork spring spacers. I would probably then install extra damper rod springs. Some GPz models have 2 down there, so adding an extra spring wouldn't be anything unusual. Doing this may reduce the amount of wheel travel.

At the Rr you could install Vulcan 500 shocks. some of them are supposedly 11" or thereabouts, but I don't know what years. some are about 13", same as the 650-CSR, but someone reported putting shorter Vulcan shocks on his 550Ltd. There are short Harley Sportster shocks that are direct fit as well, but the LH shock will slightly contact the chrome chain guard. Vulcan shocks w the lower shrouds might also contact the chain guard. some don't have the shrouds.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2020 09:52 by martin_csr.

• crusierlover
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jul 2020 16:57 #831302 by crusierlover
Replied by crusierlover on topic Lowering 650 csr
Thank you for the information.i am just going to leave it alone

The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed