USA license plate!

• Sheath
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
More
16 Jul 2020 13:58 #830824 by Sheath
Replied by Sheath on topic USA license plate!
I love the state slogans, it's a cool feature, like sunshine state, evergreen state, aloha state, sportsman's paradise etc hey does anyone remember the bit in the movie two lane blacktop when it was raining like crazy and they stole someone's plate and put it on their Chevy I guess to stay low key in that town, that 55 Chevy was BAD with a tuned up 454 and Muncie rock crusher plus fiberglass flip front and tubbed rear, as much as I love the ram air gto judge it would never out drag the Chevy ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2020 13:40 #831624 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic USA license plate!
Okay, here are some current plates for you. See if you can decipher them. Should be pretty easy for you guys.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

• Sheath
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
More
27 Jul 2020 14:13 #831627 by Sheath
COOL plates, especially gone SS :)
I think the coolest plate wheather it's real or fictional has to be the plate on the Corvette in Con air! :) :) :) :)
Attachments:

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
More
27 Jul 2020 18:14 #831665 by seanbarney41
Replied by seanbarney41 on topic USA license plate!
Sheath, just so we understand better...in the U.K. license number stays with the vehicle for the life of the vehicle? In the U.S., license number stays with the owner. They might transfer that number to a new vehicle or they might just get a new plate number...at any rate, if you buy a used vehicle you have to go get a new license plate or get one of your old ones transferred.

More
27 Jul 2020 18:48 #831670 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic USA license plate!

seanbarney41 wrote: Sheath, just so we understand better...in the U.K. license number stays with the vehicle for the life of the vehicle? In the U.S., license number stays with the owner.

Not true in every state.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Sheath
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
More
28 Jul 2020 00:51 #831677 by Sheath
Yes good question :) that's true the number plate that the vehicle was originally under will stay with that vehicle for life but of course there is an acception and that's the world of private number plates, there are companies that sell thousands of plates that are ready to register and there's only one of each one ,lots just have initials at the end like RKS and someone with those initials will buy that and fill in a V5 form from the d.v.l.a , other plates will have things like Grr or GTR or wrx and these naturally sell for a few thousand. ...
Now 99% of the time anyone with a private plate will keep the original plates safe and when it time to sell the vehicle another V5 form can have it back to its old plate and the person with the private plate can put it on their next vehicle. Occasionally someone will sell a car WITH a private plate , if it's a Nissan skyline GTR and the plate says GTR the owner will probably ask for something like £2000 more and of course the plate will make the car more desirable. Let's say that years go by and the original plates are long lost and you want an age related plate for your vehicle, with another V5 form you can ask for an age related one and you will be issued one, it could be the one your vehicle already had! Age relation is just the letter at the start of the plate to be honest, S is 1981 B is 1985 H is 1990, it does get a bit complicated because letters roll around every 20 something years (we can't use letters that look like numbers!) And since the Millennium we generally have 01, 02,03 to date it, my vw is WA02 XSF , plus I'm not 100% but sometimes I'm sure one letter can stretch over two years, like a B could be end of 85 start of 86 but don't quote me!
One last thing, all imported vehicles get a new UK plate with a letter that's in line with the models year and the original plate ends up hung on a wall :laugh:
I think that covers most UK plate rules :)

More
02 Aug 2020 18:43 #832127 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic USA license plate!

seanbarney41 wrote: Sheath, just so we understand better...in the U.K. license number stays with the vehicle for the life of the vehicle? In the U.S., license number stays with the owner. They might transfer that number to a new vehicle or they might just get a new plate number...at any rate, if you buy a used vehicle you have to go get a new license plate or get one of your old ones transferred.

Here in Minnesota the plate stays with the vehicle when sold. Every 7 yrs you get new plates. Just another way to get tax money.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

• Sheath
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
More
03 Aug 2020 03:39 #832133 by Sheath
Ah so that's how I ended up with an old minnesota plate here in the uk then I guess!:laugh: