Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

School me on differences between the early and late 550LTD 19 Feb 2020 06:01 #819566

• prichmon
  • prichmon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
We picked up an 84 550LTD missing some parts. We got the thing running last night. I had a horrible time trying to find an airbox so I ended up going jet kit and pod filters. We wish to make a decent daily rider out of the old girl. During my internet searches the 84-85 seem much more scarce than the 81-83.

The current list of spares I need to purchase or find:

tank mount rubber puck
1 carb to head boot clamp
Battery box
lock set
tires
rear grab rail
handlebars
flasher relay
starter solenoid
shocks
Hand grips

Are these parts the same amongst all years or do I have to stick with 1984-1985?

Thanks

RR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

School me on differences between the early and late 550LTD 19 Feb 2020 06:27 #819569

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Partzilla has diagrams w a cross-reference. Find your motorcycle, choose a diagram, then click the part for the x-ref.
Kawasaki.com also has the diagrams, but partzilla is easier to use. some items are still available from the dealer. usually maintenance stuff.

What I do is search a part number on EB to see if NOS is available as photos of new parts are handy. then I search by basic model w part name & alternate name. In some cases NOS is preferable & not much more expensive than good used. however, many nos parts seem to be priced kind of high on EB nowadays, though.

For some parts you don't have to get oem. handlebars & grips. flasher relay. starter solenoid. shocks. I like the stock grips, so I got nos oem. The auto parts store has direct swap Novita electronic flashers which are made or assembled in USA . Z1Enterprises.com should have some items. I've been getting stuff from them for quite a few years. Fork oil. brake lines. handlebars. oil filters & other maintenance type stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: prichmon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: