Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

engine gaskets 06 Dec 2019 16:56 #815003

• damon
  • damon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I m sure this question has been asked many times I just cant seem to find the absolute answer if there is one. im going to be putting new pistons and rings in a 1980 kz 750 g1 or ltd 11. what I need to know is what id the best gaskets to use for the base and head gasket, ? is it best to go with nos gaskets that are 20-30 years old but are oem ,or reproduction gaskets from Athena, vesrah,or this other company called n.e brand ,? this seems to be the only choices I can find for this model of bike. I only want to have to fix this bike onetime and be done with it. what is the best choice for gaskets for kz750 twin at this day and age? any advice on this subject would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

engine gaskets 06 Dec 2019 18:37 #815005

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
You should be able to get new OEM gaskets. That's what I would use. Check out Partzilla or go to your local Kawasaki dealer.

I'm currently doing a Z1 engine and I am using OEM base and head gaskets purchased from Partzilla.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: damon

engine gaskets 06 Dec 2019 19:10 #815006

• damon
  • User
the bike is 40 years old ,I don't believe I can get new oem produced gaskets unless they are nos stock that some vendor has had sitting around for years. partszilla site says unavailable. I just don't have enough knowledge or experience with these aftermarket gaskets to make a decision, I most definitely don't want to have to repair a failing gasket after a rebuild because I didn't do the proper product research. maybe there all good and im making too much of it about nothing

engine gaskets 06 Dec 2019 19:17 #815007

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I wouldn't think a gasket would go bad just sitting on a shelf in its original packaging. Take a look on eBay, I suspect you will be surprised at how many new old stock gaskets are still available. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

engine gaskets 06 Dec 2019 19:35 #815008

• damon
  • User
I have read somewhere that the original oem gaskets were plant based made and that over time they become brittle or they lose there viability or integrity, I don't know . yes there are nos gaskets for kz750 twins on ebay .another issue is these kz750twins had somesort of recall on the head gaskets to the point they had to revise the gasket a few times from my readings, im not a gearhead .just a regular joe trying to make sure I don't have to redo a rebuild because I didn't ask questions

engine gaskets 06 Dec 2019 20:57 #815012

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNOS OEM is lower risk than aftermarket. Athena brand in particular sucks, and I wouldn't buy anything with green gaskets.

If you look at OEM gaskets the later head gasket has the 1004-1055 part number (the early number is 11004-078). These gaskets are a metal sandwich with some sort of asbestos like material. If you find one in a nice clean looking package I wouldn't be afraid. The base gasket is more of a gamble but again, I'd go OEM. Oh, and any time you pull the head you should do the valve stem seals too.

Edit: this one would be hard to pass up...

Last edit: by Nessism.

engine gaskets 06 Dec 2019 21:10 #815013

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Partzilla lists the head and base gaskets as no longer available. I’d say Vesrah or nos are the best choices .
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

engine gaskets 07 Dec 2019 01:21 #815020

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
The best OEM head gasket is the green one, part# 11004-1267

Read here for the head gasket part# history :

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598240-sav...win?start=360#786804
www.z750twin.de/zylinderkopfdichtung.htm
Attachments:

engine gaskets 07 Dec 2019 01:58 #815022

• damon
  • User
thank you to all you experts that responded .very helpful information. It just goes to show theres still some goodness left in this world

engine gaskets 07 Dec 2019 04:37 #815023

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Beware of buying 1 off gaskets on ebay, if you have a mail person like ours who will take a flat envelope and fold it in half and stick it in our mail box it can be hard to get it replaced if they even have a replacement.
78 KZ1000 A2A

• Page: