• Page:

TOPIC:

Best Bike Cover ? 29 Nov 2019 04:57 #814697

• Mark_K
  • Mark_K's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

I have a Z900 and would like some advice as to the best value best bike cover. They seem to range from £15.00 to £45.00 but don't mention much about what they are made of. The main problem i have experienced with car covers is the sun deteriorates the material after a year and it becomes brittle and cracks/splits.

Any advice experience you can share please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best Bike Cover ? 29 Nov 2019 07:24 #814699

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I now keep my bike in my garage, but years ago I kept it outside with a cover on it. Unfortunately, the cover, or maybe the elastic in the bottom of the cover, reacted with the original finish on the front forks and made them really ugly (see 1st image below). Since keeping the bike in the garage I replaced the lower fork sections with new old stock units (see 2nd image below). My advice is to be careful and only buy a high quality cover. Also, if your forks are in good condition you may want to protect them from the cover by using a towel or something so they aren't damaged. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

Best Bike Cover ? 29 Nov 2019 11:05 #814714

• Mark_K
  • Mark_K's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you that is good advice and not something one would immediately think of.

The bike will eventually be stored undercover but there are always times when it may be outside not least because i have to make room for it!

Best Bike Cover ? 29 Nov 2019 21:34 #814744

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
The wind knocked over a bike I was working on the owner insisted I use. I hate them. :angry:
Steve

Best Bike Cover ? 30 Nov 2019 15:43 #814770

• jayrodoh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
I have a few covers but all have been in use while in the garage during the off season for dust. My garage is heated and dehumidified as needed. One thing I can comment on is to make sure they have ventilation up top by the bars. My neighbor let me store a few bikes in her garage last winter and the cheap Amazon covers I had on those trapped all the moisture inside. Bikes were practically dripping wet when I pulled them out in the spring which rusted some chrome bits and corroded some aluminum.
1982 KZ750-M1 CSR

Last edit: by jayrodoh.
  • Page: