• Page:

TOPIC:

MPG 10 Oct 2019 21:45 #812228

• hog
  • hog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Good morning Folks.
Just wondering, during normal type riding (I know that varies) what kind of milage are you getting from a GPZ 550. 1985 vintage. Miles per litre.
Difficult to determine but just a ball park average.
TIA
Hog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by hog.

MPG 11 Oct 2019 07:29 #812246

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
There is a huge range depending on how it's jetted. Most bikes from that era are now rejetted for different exhausts and intakes so it will depend on how precisely the cruising part of the throttle is jetted.

I would say anywhere from 40 to 60 MPG is typical. On my 1981 Gpz550's crsuising 60 to 70 mph is in the 1/16 to 1/8 throttle range so when I rejet, I really focus on that area as the limit for lean operation. everywhere else on the throttle will have to be richer. If I live with some extra choke duration in the cold, I can jet it so that cruising will easily get over 60 MPG. That is with the bike still running perfectly fine etc. with the airbox. The airbox makes the airflow more consistent so you can gleam it leaner without any hesitation. Pods need to be a tiny bit richer to make up for things like crosswinds etc.

I'm not sure what a real-world MPG value would be on a stock bike. Remember all magazine tests from back in the day probably used real gas with little to no alcohol. Ethanol gives slightly less miles per gallon.

(These are U.S. gallons, and running U.S. 93 Octane, usually with 5 to 10 % ethanol.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hog

Last edit: by loudhvx.

MPG 11 Oct 2019 22:36 #812291

• hog
  • hog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Thank you for the input, it is a wide subject and dependant on many things. I will just have to do it the long way and work it out.

• Page: