Looking for '78 KZ400 bag advice.

More
26 Aug 2019 20:48 #809910 by Kzkrazy
Looking for '78 KZ400 bag advice. was created by Kzkrazy
I want to add a bit of storage to my bike and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on some throw over saddle bags or a rear rack that I could throw a tail bag on. Do they even make a rear rack that will fit? I'm not having any luck with Google.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2019 06:50 - 27 Aug 2019 06:56 #809926 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Looking for '78 KZ400 bag advice.
You might be able to find a set of factory bags and brackets if you want to go that way. If you would rather some fabric, throw over bags, there are a lot of choices. The new bags will be universal fit, so if you still have the factory exhausts, or a similarly low aftermarket system, most any bags should work. The last few years I have been using a set from Nelson Rigg. There are a wide variety of shapes, sizes and options. Decide how you will use them and what you will carry and look for ones that are designed for what you need.
For instance, if you never ride in the rain, or will not carry anything that should not get wet, then waterproof bags are not needed. If you want to stick your helmet in one when you arrive, be sure the bags are big enough for that. If you will do a bunch of long distance touring, be sure they are weatherproof and big enough for plenty of clothes and supplies. Et cetera.

If you will not be carrying a lot, you might be happier with a good, remove able tank bag. I have an expandable one that is all I need for three or four day trip. It has a clear map pocket and an external handle for easy carrying off the bike. I usually take it on day rides as it makes a handy place to put my billfold, cell phone, pistol and such, and they are easily accessible. It is also a handy place for rain gear.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 27 Aug 2019 06:56 by TexasKZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kzkrazy

More
27 Aug 2019 07:08 - 27 Aug 2019 07:11 #809930 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Looking for '78 KZ400 bag advice.
The rack that came on the early Kz400 deluxe model, maybe it was an option, but it is the best looking choice of a rack for the early Kz400 models. It flows beautifully into the seat lines. Every other one I've seen looks terrible.

I'll see if I can find a photo. Maybe you can make it work on the '78.

Here's a thread with decent photos.
www.kzrider.com/forum/24-wanted/604080-w...ggage-rack-i-need-it
Last edit: 27 Aug 2019 07:11 by loudhvx.

More
27 Aug 2019 07:15 - 27 Aug 2019 07:21 #809931 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Looking for '78 KZ400 bag advice.
You could put a tail bag on the passenger seat. If you can't find a KZ400 luggage rack, you could go with a K&G rack. These are universal fit & can be found all over EB. often times listed according to what motorcycle they were on. CB750. CB550. GS850. XS650. KZ1000. etc etc.

I found a nos K&G rack on EB for my 650-CSR. Then got a nos K&G KZ440 mounting kit. I usually put a tail bag on the seat & a trunk on the luggage rack. The sissy bar is bolted to the rack. I don't have that any more.

Here's one that's the same as mine. just a pic I have.

Last edit: 27 Aug 2019 07:21 by martin_csr.