Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Major differences between KZ750E and KZ750 LTD 04 Jan 2019 06:50 #796143

• dpivas7
  • dpivas7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I came across a 1982 KZ750E for sale that is road ready, registered and insured.

I'm wondering what the differences are between the 1982 KZ750E and the 1982 KZ750LTD are, if any. Could I swap the 750E engine into my LTD?

How similar are these two bikes? I can't find much info on the internet about the 750E.
Current: '19 Harley Roadster, '72 XLCH, '84 GPz 550
Past: '84 GPz 550, '82 KZ750 LTD, '71 XLCH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Major differences between KZ750E and KZ750 LTD 04 Jan 2019 06:58 #796144

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Most differences were in the chassis, so the engine would probably swap with little trouble.
At one point there was a service manual (factory gold-colored base manual) in the files on Kzrider that show the different models with their specs. I'll see if I have a link. You'll want that FSM regardless.

This manual title says E1 and H1, but it covers the later years and models in the appendices. (Chain-drive only.)
www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/KZ750E1&H1.pdf

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Major differences between KZ750E and KZ750 LTD 04 Jan 2019 07:24 #796146

• dpivas7
  • dpivas7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks for that link! I noticed that the KZ750E and the KZ750 LTD have different forks - the LTD is a leading axle where the E is not.

The one I found for sale didn't have the LTD badge, but it has the leading axle fork! So I think it's safe to assume that I'm actually looking at an LTD which is better for me!
Current: '19 Harley Roadster, '72 XLCH, '84 GPz 550
Past: '84 GPz 550, '82 KZ750 LTD, '71 XLCH

Major differences between KZ750E and KZ750 LTD 04 Jan 2019 07:37 #796147

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I think the E model also has a plastic cowl over the tail-light. Also, look at the size of the rear wheel. The H Ltd will be 16". The E will be 18".

Major differences between KZ750E and KZ750 LTD 04 Jan 2019 07:49 #796148

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Regarding the engines I am pretty sure that the only difference between the E and H (LTD) models is that the E engines were painted black and the H ( LTD ) were unpainted.

I had a quick look through a Haynes manual and cant see anything else. Engine swap should be fine
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

Major differences between KZ750E and KZ750 LTD 04 Jan 2019 09:20 #796156

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673

loudhvx wrote: Most differences were in the chassis, so the engine would probably swap with little trouble.
At one point there was a service manual (factory gold-colored base manual) in the files on Kzrider that show the different models with their specs. I'll see if I have a link. You'll want that FSM regardless.

This manual title says E1 and H1, but it covers the later years and models in the appendices. (Chain-drive only.)
www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/KZ750E1&H1.pdf

This manual download is a better scan...www.750turbo.com/manuals/GPz750_Base%20Manual.pdf

I agree with the others in that the H (LTD) model bikes shared many parts with the E model. Kawasaki must have sold more LTD's because E specific parts are more rare. If you are going to take the engine and sell off what's left please post up some photos so we can see. I've got a few things on my shopping list...

Last edit: by Nessism.

Major differences between KZ750E and KZ750 LTD 05 Jan 2019 04:39 #796181

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
"LTDs" were the early Kawasaki "cruiser" immitators from 4-cyl standards(like the E), because that was what mostly sold in the US(still is). That was before the "real" V-twin cruisers; the Vulcans.

Thus the changes in the chassis were to make the standard look more like a "Harley"; buck horn tall bars, longer wheelbase (hence the leading axis), step seat, big rear tire....

....remember those silly, unridable choppers from the Easy Rider movie????…. those were the inspiration at the time(......yack!!!)

Major differences between KZ750E and KZ750 LTD 12 Jan 2019 22:17 #796648

• Setton
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
This is actually something I have some very direct hands on experience with, seeing as how I have/had (it's complicated, I crashed it and it's in another state but I'm going over there in March to pick it up and I'll rebuild it as soon as I find a new frame) a 1982 KZ750-LTD that I experimented with converting to and from an E.

So basically the E is essentially the base model, and the LTD is a factory installed conversion kit. The differences are as such:

LTD has a triple tree with a few extra degrees of rake, giving it a chopper like stance.
LTD has longer forks to compensate for the extra rake.
LTD has a smaller, sleeker gas tank
LTD has mini-ape hangar handlebars.
LTD has a rear end that's basically all seat instead of the E's rear cowl.

Aside from that, they're pretty much identical. If you try to swap parts that are unique to the two models to the other, you're going to want to swap them all.

E's handle bars on an LTD bang into the tank regardless of which tank you have, due to the modified triple tree.
E's tank on an LTD, the LTD's handlebars bang into the tank because the E has a much larger tank and the handlebars can't clear the tank.
E's triple tree with LTD's forks results in a messed up looking bike that's unsafe to ride because your forks are too long and the bike is always pointing upwards.
E's forks on an LTD's triple trees has the opposite effect, the bike is always pointing down and it's horribly dangerous and I'd be worried about getting thrown off during a hard braking maneuver.

I didn't see if the E's cowl can be fitted on the LTD frame but I suspect it can, but you'd probably need the E's rear fender and seat pan as well, just like how for the front end, you either use all the parts or you leave it alone.

Also there's some wheel size differences, but I don't have any hands on experience with that side of things.

But suffice to say if you can convert between the models (except paperwork wise) by just swapping parts. They're drop in replacements for eachother because the frame is identical.

To answer the question about the engine. Yes. The engines are identical in every way... As long as you're using from the same year ranges. Clearly a 1977 750E engine isn't going to just bolt right into a 1982 750LTD frame any more than a 1977 750LTD engine will.

Since mine's an early 80s, I'll say this. from 81 to 84 I know for certain the E and LTD engines can have their engines swapped with no modifications.

I'm fuzzy on 80 and earlier, as I have no experience with them, but I have a fair degree of certainty that they 80 and earlier will not fit 81 and later.
KZs I own
1982 KZ750-H3 LTD (frame's bent, no longer rideable, RIP)
1982 KZ1100 LTD Shaft (thought it was a Spectre)
1988 KZ1000 Police
1989 KZ1000 Police (basket case)
2002 KZ1000 Police

Non-KZs:
1983 Hondamatic 450
2001 Honda Rebel

I don't understand soup. Put a flower on my nose.

Last edit: by Setton.

Major differences between KZ750E and KZ750 LTD 13 Jan 2019 07:58 #796677

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
1980 was the first year of the 750-4. I'm pretty sure all of the KZ750-4 chain drive engines would swap. Some of the later 750-4 models had rubber mounted engines, so those frames are different, but the crankcases are the same. and as a side note the engine guards or crash guards on the rubber mounted engines are different because of the frame (not because of the engine), so the engine guards aren't swappable between some models.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: