Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Thinking about picking up this GPz550 10 Dec 2018 22:44 #794925

• genxrider
  • genxrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Can you guys take a look at this bike and give me some feedback? It just got listed- I absolutely love the bike, BUT after dealing with my 440b for the last 6 months I'm worried about sourcing non existent parts etc... just read a thread from a guy that was having probs with his rear caliper and it sounded like he was totally screwed.
It looks like it's complete, but what parts am I NOT going to be able to find?
Is he asking too much? (lol) I gotta ask.
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/d/1983-kaw...z550/6768473705.html
Thanks for anything you guys can offer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by genxrider. Reason: forgot the link duh

Thinking about picking up this GPz550 10 Dec 2018 23:17 #794927

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The carbs will be very tough to get diaphragms and pilot-gallery plugs for. I had to actually make some from scratch out of acetal rod using a small lathe. You can convert to later carbs pretty easily if you can get the carbs.

Sounds like that bike needs another tank. It might be ruined with the tank liner. The one we have (my buddy and I went in on it together) also was ruined with a tank liner. Now the carbs get gummed up with tank-liner goo after a few months. We will be looking for a new tank. Note on the stripes, an 83 tank would have black over silver. It currently has graphics from an 82.

The 82-83 Kz550H model Gpz550's can have issue with rust on the rear suspension linkage and frame bosses, so you will want to inspect that area very closely for rust bubbles or anything that looks bent or weak. A few have been known to collapse/break. If the bike was stored indoors and rarely got wet, it won't be an issue.

The front fairing on that bike looks good, but an 83 fairing has matching stripes on the sides (black over silver). The windscreen should be dark smoked. That one looks to be a light red tint and not quite the right shape. No big deal... only for sticklers.

That bike looks to be in about the same overall condition as ours, but we got ours for $500 (which is an unusually good deal).

If it starts easily and runs really well, then $2000 is not a terrible price, but with the tank issues $1200 to $1500 would be a more realistic price especially at this time of year. A good deal would be $800 to $1000. (So yes, I think he's asking too much, at least for my area around Chicago.)

The seat was re-covered. Check it out for quality and workmanship. The new cover at least looks good in the photos.

One big plus is the stock exhaust looks decent. They are getting harder to find intact.

From the above craigslist ad in case the ad goes away...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: genxrider

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Thinking about picking up this GPz550 11 Dec 2018 06:14 #794935

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 376
Sound advice from Loudhvx.
The tank can probably be saved. I've had to rescue a couple of tanks from RedKote failures. It just takes copious amounts of acetone and patience. It can be removed and replaced with a good two-part liner like Caswell or POR15.

Whatever you decide the GPZ550s are fantastic bikes.
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Thinking about picking up this GPz550 11 Dec 2018 14:19 #794968

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
Use MEK = Methylethylketone to remove RedKote.
I use POR15 fuel tank kits for decades and never have any issue

Thinking about picking up this GPz550 11 Dec 2018 20:09 #794990

• genxrider
  • genxrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks guys- I'm still on the fence about the bike. It's still there, but I'm gonna have to sleep on it for a few days- hard to decide if I want to go neck deep in another project when I'm still not quite done with my last one. At any rate I'll keep you posted on the purchase.

• Page: