Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Recommendation site for buying wheel rims ro replace drum on old bikes? 11 Nov 2018 16:12 #793692

• newkzrider18
  • newkzrider18's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate a suggestion on where to buy wheel rims for an old bike such as mine?

I have a 1980 kz 440 LTD model A and am replacing the rear wheel rim because the drum is past its service limit. I am weary on purchasing a used wheel rim on ebay that has been taken off this bike model because that means that the drum has also been used. I am asking them the inner diameter before possibly purchasing.

Is there a site that sells new rear wheel rims with the drums that are for bikes my age? Or is my only hope a used one on ebay?

Really wish I could just change the drum itself... I just don't want to buy a whole wheel rim only to buy another one down the line because the drum wore down.
Actually how long do the drums usually last for an average rider?

Thanks!
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by newkzrider18. Reason: typo

Recommendation site for buying wheel rims ro replace drum on old bikes? 12 Nov 2018 04:31 #793705

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
A drum should last a very long time if the brake pads are replaced before they go past their limit.
You should put your Location and bike info in your signature, there may be members in your area that can help you out.
You can get new rims and spokes at Buchanan and they will re-lace an existing drum but they don't make new/complete wheels for your bike, no one does.
There are plenty of good used rear wheels out there, be patient you'll find one.
78 KZ1000 A2A

Recommendation site for buying wheel rims ro replace drum on old bikes? 12 Nov 2018 06:07 #793709

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Finding a good used wheel is probably the best option. probably any KZ440 Ltd wheel. chain drive or belt.
Just curious. how many miles are on the motorcycle? Unless it's high, then you kind of wonder if the po understood how to use the front brake.

Relining the drum might be an option, but it's probably expensive on a vintage motorcycle.

KZ550-Ltd rear wheel. refurbished several years ago. Duplicolor engine paint, then baked in a low temp oven.
the paint is still in vg condition. no chips or anything & I clean it often with LW silicone spray lubricant.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Recommendation site for buying wheel rims ro replace drum on old bikes? 12 Nov 2018 07:40 #793712

• newkzrider18
  • newkzrider18's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
From the PO it had ~15,000 and now I have ~17,000 after a year of riding so I don't know much about how the PO drove it.

Thanks guys, makes me feel better about buying on ebay. I found two I like after a day of searching and am awaiting their reply on the ID of the drum.
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Last edit: by newkzrider18.
  • Page: