Ordered tire. Got it fast!

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
30 Aug 2018 05:37 #789992 by loudhvx
Ordered tire. Got it fast! was created by loudhvx
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationOrdered a tire from powersportsparts512 on ebay. Placed the order Monday afternoon, and the tire was in my yard Wednesday afternoon. The shipping was free! From Texas to Chicago in 48 hours. That's doing pretty good for such a bulky item.

It was down to Bridegestone Bt45v, Pirelli Sport Demon, and these Avon AM26. I've never tried Avon so I thought I'd give it a chance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2018 05:48 #789994 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Ordered tire. Got it fast!
AM26's are great tires. Sticky, they ride well, and good durability. Good choice!
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

More
30 Aug 2018 08:09 - 30 Aug 2018 08:31 #789997 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic Ordered tire. Got it fast!
I have no personal experience with the Avon's, but see them on a lot of the loud and slow customs. I went through 2 Dunlop D404's on the rear of my Kaw (spin rather than grab) in ~9K miles, so I went with the Michelin Commando's II upon the recommendation of a guy at Cycle Gear. ([psycho gear? :-)) Cycle gear wanted ~160 for the rear tire, but spotted it on fleabay for ~100 bucks shipped. Not really good as far helping the local brick and mortar stores stay in business, but some of the stuff is so overpriced, they run off the customers.

These tires stick better than the Dunlop's. They squeal instead of spinning when I twist the go fast tube on the right.

It seemed the front tire made it in a few days, but over a week later, I had to start messaging as to WHERE the rear tire was at. Then another week later, it showed up at the door. eBay does make the sellers tow the line if they start getting complaints on a vendor, they will step in. They get copy of every complaint or inquiry to a vendor it seems. 2 clicks exactly and POOF.. no more money. :-)

They do seem to be holding up well, because I have almost 5K miles on the rear now, and it only appears to have minimal wear. I do not purposely smoke them off, unlike some that enjoy propping the front wheel against a solid object. then smoking it until it pops, but I occasionally might light it up briefly just to feel that power come to life, only for a few seconds. :lol: This pic was last week at QT.

You can see the sticker price on the rear tire is $233.95 in the pic. Of course, the markup on most parts is over 100%, and even more depending on what and where.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2018 08:31 by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

More
30 Aug 2018 09:53 - 30 Aug 2018 09:53 #790002 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Ordered tire. Got it fast!
I'm very glad to read that Michelin is making a decent tire again. Long ago I used their M48 and A48 tires and they worked really well. When they discontinued those tires I used the Michelin Macadam tires and they really were the worse tires I ever used - really bad in that they had very poor grip and eventually caused a speed wobble. I wouldn't recommend the Macadam tires to my worse enemy, but it appears that the Commanders are very good tires. That's good to know. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 30 Aug 2018 09:53 by 650ed.

More
30 Aug 2018 10:14 - 30 Aug 2018 22:05 #790004 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic Ordered tire. Got it fast!

650ed wrote: I'm very glad to read that Michelin is making a decent tire again. Long ago I used their M48 and A48 tires and they worked really well. When they discontinued those tires I used the Michelin Macadam tires and they really were the worse tires I ever used - really bad in that they had very poor grip and eventually caused a speed wobble. I wouldn't recommend the Macadam tires to my worse enemy, but it appears that the Commanders are very good tires. That's good to know. Ed

This would describe the Dunlop D404's to a "T". A lot of tire performance is linked to the compounds used in it's manufacture. The grip or slip and wear tendencies of any tire is in it's chemical makeup.. of which I have no idea in that chemistry whatsoever.

The Dunlops never "squealed" audibly, only spun. I attributed the rear tire going away fast because of it's age, but the second one was not an old tire. these bark and stick even with the absence of a lot of tread grooving.

I never have had much high speed wobble, but it is now pretty much non-existent with these Michelin tires.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Aug 2018 22:05 by old_kaw.