Chain Slack

More
18 Dec 2017 10:26 #776305 by 650Dude
Chain Slack was created by 650Dude
I have three Kawasakis and on my 1978 750 LTDIm finding i have to adjust chain slac every 200-300 miles or so. Brand new chain was put on about a year ago. Its a pretty good chain.

I sometimes ride hard and I DEFINITELY ride fast. Is it common for the chain to become slack so frequently?

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2017 13:13 #776310 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Chain Slack
You definitely have a problem! I installed my current chain 24,000 miles ago. I have only had to make the slightest adjustments to it during that time, and those adjustments total only about 1/8 inch in 24,000 miles. I’ve owned my KZ650-C1 for nearly 41 years; personal experience tells me riding fast won’t cause the wear you describe.

So here are some possibilities –

1. You are adjusting the chain improperly. If you are not leaving the correct amount of slack in the chain it will stretch. It must. This is because when you adjust the chain the rear axle is below the imaginary extended line that would be drawn between the counter sprocket center and the swing arm pivot center. When you ride the bike the swing arm rises and that lengthens the distance between the counter sprocket center and the rear axle. If there is insufficient slack in the chain when this happens the chain will stretch or break. How do you measure chain slack when adjusting the chain?

2. When you replaced the chain you failed to replace both sprockets. The dimensions of the sprockets and chain must match. If one installs a new chain on used sprockets the chain will wear prematurely as it tries to match the pitch of the sprockets. Similarly, if one replaces the sprockets and not the chain the sprockets will wear prematurely for the same reason. When the chain was replaced were both sprockets also replaced?

3. You are not lubing the chain properly. If you do not use decent chain lube on the chain on a regular basis the chain and sprockets can wear. What chain lube do you use and how often do you lube the chain?

4. The chain is of dubious quality. Cheap chains wear out much earlier than high quality chains. Who made the chain, and what type is it (x-ring, o-ring, no-ring)?

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Dec 2017 17:51 - 18 Dec 2017 18:01 #776319 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Chain Slack
Define "pretty good chain". A quality one will need one adjustment after it's been installed then it's good for a long time even if its ignored and abused. Cheap chains will constantly need adjustment like you have described. For example I own a Honda XR650L I installed a high quality O-ring chain on old sprockets, adjusted it one time then rode it over 30,000 miles all loaded up with gear through Central and South America. I completely ignored the chain, no lube or maintenance of any kind. I really abused it also, riding in deep sand and water for hundreds of miles. When I got home I cleaned the chain off and it's still in great shape just needed one small adjustment to tighten it up.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 18:01 by baldy110.