Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?

More
27 Jul 2017 11:03 #767830 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?
I don't doubt that jerks tip over bikes, but one thing to check if you find the bike tipped over is the condition of the paving under the centerstand or sidestand. Years ago my bike KZ650 almost tipped over. A friend saw the problem before the bike fell all the way. The problem was that the centerstand had sunk into the blacktop surface more on one side than the other which caused the bike to lean way over. It was about to fall when the problem was spotted. It was summer and the blacktop was so hot that it had softened a bit and the centerstand had sunk into it. I moved the bike to a spot when the centerstand rested on concrete - problem solved.

I had my BSA fall over when it was on its sidestand for the same reason - the blacktop had softened and the side stand sunk into it until the bike fell. In that case it only took about two minutes to happen. I saw the bike fall but I was too far away to catch it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2017 22:13 #767860 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?
Hot asphalt tip overs are very common here. in the summer. Some riders carry a crushed can, piece of wood or something to put under the sidestand.

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

More
28 Jul 2017 08:52 #767876 by Patton
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
28 Jul 2017 09:04 #767878 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?
In the city, I have resorted to parking on the sidewalk when possible. The streets are not viable parking for bikes.

In addition to the intentional knockovers, SUVs are a big source of accidental knockovers. They can't see the bike behind them. I caught one woman before she could drive away. She said it was my bike's fault for being too small to be seen over her Landrover's tailgate. So when she backs over a child, it'll be the child's fault.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

More
28 Jul 2017 09:25 #767879 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?
You may have answered your own question....
"(we have a band and I crashed at the spot because I was too tired to go home)"
Assuming you were rehearsing, you may have neighbors who A)Don't like your style of music B)Don't like any music late into the night. , It's still a chicken$#!t thing to do, but someone could be telling you to go find a new place to practice or at least turn it down. As long as they could hear the music, they knew they were free to mess with your bike.

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2017 12:31 - 28 Jul 2017 12:34 #767883 by JWKZ750
Replied by JWKZ750 on topic Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?

MDZ1rider wrote: You may have answered your own question....
"(we have a band and I crashed at the spot because I was too tired to go home)"
Assuming you were rehearsing, you may have neighbors who A)Don't like your style of music B)Don't like any music late into the night. , It's still a chicken$#!t thing to do, but someone could be telling you to go find a new place to practice or at least turn it down. As long as they could hear the music, they knew they were free to mess with your bike.

Sorry, all of that is incorrect. The professional studio where we rehearse is 5 blocks away from where the band member lives. I parked in front of his house because we met up there, and parking near the studio is a nightmare. This studio is on the 10th floor, and is a PROFESSIONAL studio. As in fully soundproofed. Has nothing to do with the music at all.

AND...I got to the bottom of it. A skateboarder kid who lives opposite my friend said he and his Dad saw my bike sinking in the asphalt (it was 85 degrees that day) and later heard it fall. They actually picked it up and put it on the sidestand. Mystery solved.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2017 12:34 by JWKZ750.

More
10 Aug 2017 14:13 - 10 Aug 2017 14:14 #768748 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?
Cause people are assholes that's why. I rode this to an "All Bikes welcome" event. I parked it off the main street because I noticed 99.9% of all the bikes there were H/D or choppers. I left it there for about 4 hours and came back to find my bike on it's side on the ground. Left side was screwed up, dent in tank and the forks were out off wack. I also found a note attached to the tank. It read, "You got some balls bringing this crap jap shit here." So much for all bikes welcome. People or just a bunch of fucking assholes.
[IMG
Last edit: 10 Aug 2017 14:14 by baldy110.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Aug 2017 16:15 #768755 by SWest

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
11 Aug 2017 04:14 #768772 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?
That is messed up!
I worry about that shit all the time, so far no problems but I know some of the places we would not be welcomed.
This weekend we are headed down to Peoria IL for the Grand National TT races and the city is supposed to be something like a Daytona type of setting, we'll see.
Sorry to hear about your bike Baldy.

78 KZ1000 A2A

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Aug 2017 07:34 #768784 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?
For the same reason a dog licks himself. :whistle:
Steve

More
11 Aug 2017 08:10 #768785 by drakhen99
Replied by drakhen99 on topic Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?

SWest wrote: For the same reason a dog licks himself. :whistle:
Steve

Well that's just NUTS!

-John

2019 Harley Street Glide Special (FLHXS)
2016 Vaquero - traded
2005 VN800B
1979 KZ650SR

More
11 Aug 2017 08:15 #768787 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Why do Ppl Tip over bikes?

bluej58 wrote: That is messed up!
I worry about that shit all the time, so far no problems but I know some of the places we would not be welcomed.
This weekend we are headed down to Peoria IL for the Grand National TT races and the city is supposed to be something like a Daytona type of setting, we'll see.
Sorry to hear about your bike Baldy.

Thanks but I'm over it was awhile ago and I have since completely re-built the bike but it really pissed me off at the time. One of the reasons I hate the H/D and chopper crowd.