just an observation

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
11 May 2017 04:53 #761695 by 9am53
just an observation was created by 9am53
So Working on my old kz's was awesome, I found parts there were lots of resources, lots of places for all sorts of goodies, z1 enterprises etc.

then I got my wifes cb350....well suck me sideways Honda has support for old clunkers like I never experienced. nyou can find a million of everything so easily! those Honda guys don't know what its like for the rest of us!

Now Im back on team green, I got a "newer" bike and an icon of motorcycling to boot...where the hell is the aftermarket? kz's have a lot more as far as north American aftermarket and parts and such. it seems the only places to get stuff for the ninja is Europe or the mother land where they are apparently really popular to resto-mod.

that's all I got, just a mini rant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2017 05:40 #761700 by Shabba
Replied by Shabba on topic just an observation
I can feel your pain. I just rebuilt my forks and getting the bushings required me ordering some from England. They were cheap, even with postage, but 10 days wait time sucked. You would think that with the re-emergence of bike sales and the increase in nostalgia leading to more desire to restore the old jap bikes would also mean more parts availability. Not the case it seems.

-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
11 May 2017 06:01 #761703 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic just an observation
I need a new wheel and rotor...waiting on ebay for them, my tire and pads and filter will be here today. THank goodness for Petes Superbike!

More
11 May 2017 06:10 #761705 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic just an observation
Hondas always dominate any of the Vintage Japanese shows I've been to. The market responses to demand. Interest in vintage bikes is a reflection of nostalgia and recapturing the memories of your youth. Consequently, brand popularity is a reflection of what was popular during an earlier period. Honda was responsible for introducing more young riders to motorcycling than any other brand. Every kid wanted a Honda 50 and soon Mon and Dad had Trail 90's to follow them. I swear bumper racks with a little Honda were standard equipment on every camper sold in the 70's. Honda's built a massive following with unintimidating safe fun little bikes. Anyone could ride one, and they did. Honda's slogan was "you meet the nicest people on a Honda,
Kawasaki was at the opposite end of the spectrum. They didn't make nice little safe bikes that Moms would approve of. They made mean nasty fire breathers that would kill you. These bikes didn't turn, stop or handle particularly well, but they were rocket in a straight line. Kawasaki was all about the engine. This type of bike appealed to smaller group of experienced riders looking for that adrenaline rush. If you start with a smaller group, you end with one.
I've had a theory that your interest in vintage bikes is based on the dominate brand when you first became interested in Motorcycles.
Pre-68 = British bikes
68-72 = Honda (CB750)
72-77 - Kawasaki (H2 and Z1)
78- 81 - Suzuki (GS and later GSXR's)
81-82 - Kawasaki (GPz's and Ninja)
The superbike wars heated up in the 80's and the crown was passed back and forth every year between the Japanese manufactures. They all made good bikes with no one holding the top spot for an extended period.
Ducati has always had a niche following, but the 916 had a dominate period in the early 90's that to just starting to surge. Unfortunately older guys with money to buy them also realize that old joints aren't going to enjoy the no compromise sport bike riding position very long.
Harleys are unique in that the appeal is not based on a model, but rather the image. Guys who have spent their whole life doing the "right thing" want to break out and be a bad ass rebel biker, even if it's only for the weekend.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
11 May 2017 07:06 #761718 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic just an observation
Well I'm a bit of an oddball but I do agree with your theory.

I'm 36, my first bike was a Honda 50 when I was like 8...went though a few Hondas and Yamaha dirtbikes as a kid but quit biking when sports took over my life. as an adult I wanted a bike so I got a kz550 spectre because it was cheap and was less than 600 cc's so I could be insured for a reasonable 900 bucks a year as a young rider. I ahd no real affinity for any brand, but through maintaining that bike I got a big hard on for kz's and promptly upgraded to a kz1000 and the rest is history. Now I like Kawasaki because of the attitude you speak of, and because theyre a little different than "just another Honda..."