Fuel tank question?

More
10 Jun 2016 14:08 - 10 Jun 2016 15:58 #730857 by imagesofhis
Fuel tank question? was created by imagesofhis
I'm not sure what is going on inside my tank...it looks like it has been sealed, but it is bubbling and cracking. Do any of you know what is up and what I should do about it?

Attachment IMG_2003.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_2012.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_2019.JPG not found

Tim Burkhalter
1980 KZ750e
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jun 2016 15:58 by imagesofhis. Reason: Insert pics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2016 14:53 #730862 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Fuel tank question?
Someone probably used a tank liner kit to seal the tank. I'm not sure the best way to remove it. maybe use acetone or MEK or a liner removal product. Whatever you use will probably ruin the paint. Probably the easiest way would be to take it to a radiator shop & have them dunk it in their solution --- of course this will take off the paint as well as the liner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: imagesofhis

More
10 Jun 2016 15:00 - 10 Jun 2016 15:09 #730864 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Fuel tank question?
It looks like a failed Por-15 liner and that stuff is a bitch to remove (don't ask me how I know). Por-15 sells some industrial strength stripper which works pretty well but get ready for an epic struggle before the tank is properly stripped and derusted. I've done it before but don't recommend it if you have an alternative (like buying another tank).

Oh and BTW, POR-15's instructions and promotion materials make it seem like their sealer paints are the cat's meow and practically jump out of the can and seal over all your rusty metal. Don't believe it! The proper way to prep the metal before sealing involves use of phosphoric acid to REMOVE the visible rust before sealing. If you have some slight rust remaining down in the pits of the rusted metal then fine, the sealer will take care of that. Dump that sealer in your tank on top of rust and you will be singing the blues in due time though...

Last edit: 10 Jun 2016 15:09 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: imagesofhis