Looking at a 750 twin, what should I check

More
17 May 2016 08:58 #726975 by MadShad
So tomorrow evening I'm going to look at a '78 kz750 twin. Standard "it been sitting" stuff I expect, brakes dragging, carbs need gone thru, deab battery, crap in the tank, etc etc.
The story I got was the starter was bad, rebuilt one installed and the bolts for the clutch cover were lost and that's where this bikes story ended.

This will be my first twin, anything specific to look out for, big ticket items specific to the twins?

Thanks for the help, I'll be sure and post pictures if I pick it up.

Shelbyville, Indiana. '80 KZ1000
No more of that talk or I'll put the leeches on you, understand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2016 09:20 #726980 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Looking at a 750 twin, what should I check
Clutch cover bolts missing? Do they mean stator cover? That and two starter bolts are all you have to take off to remove the starter. You basically have the rest figured out, get it for a good price, and any surprises are accounted for

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadShad

More
17 May 2016 09:49 - 17 May 2016 09:50 #726988 by MadShad
Replied by MadShad on topic Looking at a 750 twin, what should I check
Yes, my mistake. It's the cover on the left hand side of the engine that looks like it covers the end of the starter and front sprocket.
He said the starter was burnt out from trying to jump start with a large battery, not sure if that would have caused other electrical system damage.

The pictures are poor bit it looks like its all there and original, just covered in filth, just the way I like it!

Shelbyville, Indiana. '80 KZ1000
No more of that talk or I'll put the leeches on you, understand?
Last edit: 17 May 2016 09:50 by MadShad. Reason: Can't type on my phone!