Bike Deal??

More
05 Jan 2016 02:07 #705657 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Bike Deal??
IT should at least be worth a look too see if it runs or can run. Then just flip it and let someone enjoy working on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2016 03:27 #705662 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Bike Deal??
I've bought, fixed, and flipped a handful of bikes in the past, and it provided a small injection of cash but much satisfaction with each project.

The GN400 is a single so it shouldn't take much to get it running, assuming the bones are good. Check inside of tank for rust and make sure the engine isn't locked up. You only have one carb to mess with and I think that bike has an electronic ignition. Suzuki's of that era were very robust to it's doubtful there are any internal engine problems.

If you enjoy wrenching then I'd check out the bike and grab it up assuming it's not too ratted up. Mechanicals are easily fixable, but cosmetics are different. Just fix what needs fixing and make the bike reliable because most guys don't know which end of the wrench to hold. You can flip the bike for $1000 easy (in my area anyway) if it's a solid runner.

Good luck

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
05 Jan 2016 03:52 - 05 Jan 2016 04:00 #705665 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Bike Deal??

Nessism wrote: I've bought, fixed, and flipped a handful of bikes in the past, and it provided a small injection of cash but much satisfaction with each project.

The GN400 is a single so it shouldn't take much to get it running, assuming the bones are good. Check inside of tank for rust and make sure the engine isn't locked up. You only have one carb to mess with and I think that bike has an electronic ignition. Suzuki's of that era were very robust to it's doubtful there are any internal engine problems.

If you enjoy wrenching then I'd check out the bike and grab it up assuming it's not too ratted up. Mechanicals are easily fixable, but cosmetics are different. Just fix what needs fixing and make the bike reliable because most guys don't know which end of the wrench to hold. You can flip the bike for $1000 easy (in my area anyway) if it's a solid runner.

Good luck

Thanks Nessism
Seriously?? They are bringing $1000, in your area? :woohoo:
Wow!!, I was worried that I would be able to get $500!! :whistle:
Seat has been recovered, Tank repainted ( Allegedly,I havn't actually seen the bike, just Pictures) Anyway, I was just gonna forget about it, but I think now I will take a look at it next week, as far as wrenching ability? in addition to my '75 Z1-B 900, I own a Harley! LOL, Yea, I got Metric wrenches too.
I will check it out next week and let ya know.My big thing is I dont want to get "Upside Down" on a bike, If I make even a Hundred Dollars, Im good, Im retired , I got plenty of time and a LOT of Tools. So ok, we'll see where it goes.
FYI, The reason I brought it up on the forum is I had already looked at several area CL's and Ebay and there were absolutely none on any sites I could find for sale to try and draw a reasonable conclusion about what they are worth and if it was a worthwhile project..
Thanks for the input.
Ed

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's
Last edit: 05 Jan 2016 04:00 by ed spangler. Reason: Addt'l info

More
05 Jan 2016 04:02 #705666 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Bike Deal??

ed spangler wrote: Alright enough Chill out already!
Good Grief!
I dont own a bobber, never have, I was just floating an idea, didn't expect all the nasty comments!
I may be one of the oldest forum members on here, but at least I try and keep an open mind!

Relax People!
Ed

Well Ed, this seems to be the general attitude toward bobbers around here. As I see it, the skills, knowledge and money needed to make a high quality bobber are not substantially different from those needed for a high quality restoration, except the bobber project needs a dose of design knowledge an creativity since it is more than just making an identical copy of the factory work.
Some of these responses might be appropriate if you were proposing turning a one-of-a-kind Ferrari into something that looked like a Chevy Vega low rider. I'd say that the world does not need another stock GN 400. There are too many of those bland little bikes droning around already.
Like you, I have been a member around here for quite a while. I have read a lot of build threads, almost none of which were true to factory restorations. Some of them were very high quality like LC and OMR. Some were built on a shoestring budget, and some were not really successful. They all produced bikes that were very personalized. Some I like, some I don't, but in each case I appreciated the enthusiasm, skill and creativity.
I also have a deep appreciation for a top notch restoration and carefully maintained survivors. Each style requires passion, and for those of us who are ametures (most of us), a great deal of help and friendly advice is also necessary. Some occasional friendly ribbing has also been part of the mix. That is what this forum provides when it is at its best.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
05 Jan 2016 04:30 #705668 by ed spangler

TexasKZ wrote:

Good Grief!
I dont own a bobber, never have, I was just floating an idea, didn't expect all the nasty comments!
I may be one of the oldest forum members on here, but at least I try and keep an open mind!

Relax People!
Ed

Well Ed, this seems to be the general attitude toward bobbers around here. As I see it, the skills, knowledge and money needed to make a high quality bobber are not substantially different from those needed for a high quality restoration, except the bobber project needs a dose of design knowledge an creativity since it is more than just making an identical copy of the factory work.
Some of these responses might be appropriate if you were proposing turning a one-of-a-kind Ferrari into something that looked like a Chevy Vega low rider. I'd say that the world does not need another stock GN 400. There are too many of those bland little bikes droning around already.
Like you, I have been a member around here for quite a while. I have read a lot of build threads, almost none of which were true to factory restorations. Some of them were very high quality like LC and OMR. Some were built on a shoestring budget, and some were not really successful. They all produced bikes that were very personalized. Some I like, some I don't, but in each case I appreciated the enthusiasm, skill and creativity.
I also have a deep appreciation for a top notch restoration and carefully maintained survivors. Each style requires passion, and for those of us who are ametures (most of us), a great deal of help and friendly advice is also necessary. Some occasional friendly ribbing has also been part of the mix. That is what this forum provides when it is at its best.

Perhaps I was too thinned skinned, I guess I am different, as an example, there seems to be a lot of people talking about Electric Bikes, For my part I would rather sit on a Hot Skillet! BUT, if someone else likes them , go for it, My thing is if I cant say something good, I remain silent and just SMH. So, if the comments are kidding as you say, fine, just seemed they were more hostile to me. And as far as Bobbers go, there have been several Bobber Build threads or Mod Build Threads,Most members seemed to enjoy those builds from what I remember, I would love to have my bike 100% Bone Stock all original, reality is ,I cant afford that., .
Regards
Ed

More
05 Jan 2016 05:09 #705673 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic Bike Deal??
I think the gate keeper needs to add a special section for "Bobbers" It should be located right above the Fallen rider section because after most poor attempts ( i'm a custom bike builder lol )with there handy cut off wheel , most bobbers are unsafe , poor workmanship death traps.
Or put it right above the for sale section, that's where most of them end up. It's usually for sale before the bike is finished and out of flat black paint, and they (maybe I'm not a bike builder after all lol )realized they screwed up a perfectly good motorcycle.
How many times on CL have you seen a bobber project , unfinished , must sell cheap ,,
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
05 Jan 2016 05:14 #705675 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Bike Deal??
Cheap? Pfft, I usually see them around $1500 in crap shap touted as the best build ever.

I sent a message to one of them, offered $100 and got a message back a few weeks later, spent ten bucks in gas and gave him 90 when I got there. Sad thing was it was a mkii and all the good parts were 'tossed in the dumpster' by the customizer

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Jan 2016 05:28 #705676 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bike Deal??
My comment wasn't meant to offend. Sorry if you took it that way. I was just pointing out it is cheaper to take off rusty fenders and stripping off safety equipment calling it a bobber than to restore them. My first real bike was a CL 350 and my BF bought a CB 175 because it had the electric start, turn signals, etc like it's bigger brother. We wouldn't have dreamed of stripping them down. Might as well put a plate on a dirt bike and road tires. IMO At the end of the day, it will be your bike and you can do with it what you want.
Steve

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
05 Jan 2016 05:39 #705678 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Bike Deal??

Good Grief!

Relax People!
Ed

Dont worry Ed.
I can fix this real easy. :P
ONE WHOLE YEAR OF BOBBERS AS BOTMs in 2017 :evil:
So all you builders better get busy :pinch:

Just kidding , but how about we not descend on all Bobber threads like a pack of jackals
One or two members make the point of the negative usual outcome of unsafe or unfinished bobbers and move on.

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
05 Jan 2016 05:56 - 05 Jan 2016 05:58 #705682 by ed spangler

swest wrote: My comment wasn't meant to offend. Sorry if you took it that way. I was just pointing out it is cheaper to take off rusty fenders and stripping off safety equipment calling it a bobber than to restore them. My first real bike was a CL 350 and my BF bought a CB 175 because it had the electric start, turn signals, etc like it's bigger brother. We wouldn't have dreamed of stripping them down. Might as well put a plate on a dirt bike and road tires. IMO At the end of the day, it will be your bike and you can do with it what you want.
Steve

Thanks Steve:-)
I get it. Talked to a friend of mine who wheels and deals in bikes, he had one just like it , got it going, took it to "Barber" last year with $300 price on it, .....It didn't sell, sooooo I am getting vastly conflicting info. I hear from other folks in stock running form, they bring $700-$1000.....????.... Still.....I am gonna check it out farther
Thanks Again
Ed

Last edit: 05 Jan 2016 05:58 by ed spangler. Reason: spelling

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Jan 2016 06:01 #705684 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bike Deal??
It's a beginner bike. Some kid will love to have it and you can be the cool old guy that made him a special deal. B)
Steve

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
05 Jan 2016 06:03 - 05 Jan 2016 06:04 #705685 by ed spangler

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

Good Grief!

Relax People!
Ed

Dont worry Ed.
I can fix this real easy. :P
ONE WHOLE YEAR OF BOBBERS AS BOTMs in 2017 :evil:
So all you builders better get busy :pinch:

Just kidding , but how about we not descend on all Bobber threads like a pack of jackals
One or two members make the point of the negative usual outcome of unsafe or unfinished bobbers and move on.

Dave B) B) B)

LMAO :laugh:
Thanks Dave B)
Maybe I have been on the forum too long...I'm.just too old! LOL
Yea, except I have never owned a Bobber, never built one and probably don't want one ( No offense to the Bobber folks on here, to each his or her own) It was a mistake to bring it up. I was trying to sort out if the bike is worth it or not or if modding it would make it worth more, I think I have figured out the answer is NO. LOL.
I think the verdict is still out on it as far as getting it going stock.and it selling.??
Regards
Ed

Last edit: 05 Jan 2016 06:04 by ed spangler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD