What is your "Riding Season"?

More
18 Sep 2015 17:11 #690761 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic What is your "Riding Season"?
I never really understood putting a motorcycle away for weather. I won't ride on ice obviously, but there can be 65 degree days or better even in the dead of winter here in Denver, so why not enjoy? I had the luck of only a 3 mile commute to work for 35yrs and if wasn't snowing I rode to work. Only enjoyment I got in that miserable 35yrs. Hot weather I never minded, and still don't. Can be 100 degrees or more, I'm happy to ride. Very rare to go an entire week without rideable weather in Denver.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2015 03:15 - 19 Sep 2015 03:16 #690791 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic What is your "Riding Season"?
I will admit it does get real hot here and I don't "want" to ride but we
have very few "can't" ride days.
With us going weeks to months with no real rain when it does rain the streets get REAL greasey
and it's just a danger to ride.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2015 03:16 by zukdave.

More
19 Sep 2015 03:46 #690795 by OutsiderKZ900A4
Replied by OutsiderKZ900A4 on topic Re:What is your "Riding Season"?

RonKZ650 wrote: I never really understood putting a motorcycle away for weather. I won't ride on ice obviously, but there can be 65 degree days or better even in the dead of winter here in Denver, so why not enjoy? I had the luck of only a 3 mile commute to work for 35yrs and if wasn't snowing I rode to work. Only enjoyment I got in that miserable 35yrs. Hot weather I never minded, and still don't. Can be 100 degrees or more, I'm happy to ride. Very rare to go an entire week without rideable weather in Denver.

Sounds like southwest Kansas as well. I don't really ever park mine for the winter. They may not get ridden for an extended period of time, but they are ready to go if I want to ride.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Sep 2015 04:17 #690798 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:What is your "Riding Season"?
I though riding to northern Cal. would be cooler. It ain't Once you get in the San Joaquin valley, it gets damp, the smog and dust is a choking miserable ride. The only good place to ride is near the beach.
Steve

More
19 Sep 2015 11:50 #690866 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Re:What is your "Riding Season"?
Some years, in Chicago, we can ride almost every month a little bit in the winter. The last couple years have not been the case. Near 0 temps and ice/snow/salt are not very inviting. For me, it's really more about the salt than anything else. Salty road spray works into every little crevice, and you really can't clean it out without disassembling everything. If we get a good rain to wash the roads, and the temps get above 30, I might venture out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

More
19 Sep 2015 13:03 #690878 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic Re:What is your "Riding Season"?
All year - dont like riding in the middle of a stinkin hot summer though.

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Sep 2015 13:21 #690886 by SWest

More
19 Sep 2015 18:25 #690918 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Re:What is your "Riding Season"?

Zephyrrider wrote: All year - dont like riding in the middle of a stinkin hot summer though.

That must explain my question of why I hardly ever saw another motorcycle down in Mississippi, Alabama ect in summer. I thought, who in this world would not ride in this glorious hot weather? All I could think was bogus insurance crap, government crap. Now I know the real deal. Some don't like hot. I like it. :)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Sep 2015 18:29 #690919 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:What is your "Riding Season"?
Hot and muggy ain't so bad. That trip across the Mojave 4 times last year was a killer. Lots of water stops.
Steve

More
19 Sep 2015 18:59 #690923 by Shabba
Replied by Shabba on topic What is your "Riding Season"?
I took a ride down Route 11 in 2012 on my BMW K75S. Took my time and enjoyed the scenery, blah blah, but that summer was pretty damn hot and I remember making frequent stops in every state. I wear ATGATT and this was one time I was really reconsidering that choice. At no speed could I find any relief and at one point, close to home here in Virginia, the temperature touched 101. It sucked.

But I got to ride.

-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

More
19 Sep 2015 19:41 #690929 by Barry2
Replied by Barry2 on topic What is your "Riding Season"?

jakedude wrote: Late March to early November mostly. We often get a thaw between mid December and the first week in January so I ride a bit then if they haven't spread too much gravel due to the early winter snow. I actually prefer to ride with the temps between 40 to 70F. One can always put on more warm clothes. If you are not willing to ride in the rain, you shouldn't own a motorcycle in the Northwest.

Same goes for me here in Post Falls.

1976 KZ900

More
20 Sep 2015 03:49 #690957 by RODZ
Replied by RODZ on topic What is your "Riding Season"?
my season starts and never ends ...
when it does not rain it goes !

only December and January in the center of Italy 's cold or snow could make ...

if anything , in the summer , the call of the sea ( and girls ... ) wins one of the bike ...