Tips, Tricks & Secrets Thread

More
09 Aug 2015 07:41 - 09 Aug 2015 08:23 #685054 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Tips, Tricks & Secrets Thread
True --- that's why the head size info is listed & It was more expedient to type it thusly in the photo. 19mm = 0.748"
Related, I bought some M10 engine mounting bolts before removing the old ones --- the new bolt heads were too big. doh.

Unrelated. I hate rust, so I treat the back side of chrome steel parts. Clean the rust, use a rust converter in some cases, then spray with bar-b-que grill paint or wheel paint. I sprayed the inside of the headlight bucket black, but silver would have been preferable --- I had done the muffler covers with bar-b-que paint already & did the bucket the same way. doh. Silver worked well on the inside of the tail light bracket.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2015 08:23 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2015 09:25 #685060 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Tips, Tricks & Secrets Thread

martin_csr wrote:

GPzMOD750 wrote: When you are taking apart your front forks there is a special tool that has a 19 mm end on it to hold the dampener while you undo the screw on the bottom of the outer tube, I went and found a bolt with a 19 mm head, in this case it was a M12 x 1.50 and 2 nuts to fit it......

I use a left-hand-threaded 1/2" bolt w a couple of nuts & socket extensions. FYI. not all fork use the same tool.

If you have a spark plug socket with the hex on the outside bottom, turn in upside down and attach it to your extension backwards. The outside hex is a perfect size to hold the damper rods. No need to make that bolt/nut adapter.

More
09 Aug 2015 09:33 #685061 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Tips, Tricks & Secrets Thread

missionkz wrote: We have an area called Tech Tips...

www.kzrider.com/articles/technical-tips

Not sure if it is open to posting though....

Many members over look the "FILEBASE" tab with a ton of KZ Documents in it.

www.kzrider.com/filebase or just click the tab up above ;-)

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
09 Aug 2015 14:52 - 09 Aug 2015 14:52 #685118 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Tips, Tricks & Secrets Thread

Nessism wrote:
If you have a spark plug socket with the hex on the outside bottom, turn in upside down and attach it to your extension backwards. The outside hex is a perfect size to hold the damper rods. No need to make that bolt/nut adapter.

I didn't think about that one. A cat skinning reference comes to mind.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2015 14:52 by GPzMOD750.

More
26 Aug 2015 10:44 #687191 by GPzMOD750

GPzMOD750 wrote:

Nessism wrote:

I didn't think about that one. A cat skinning reference comes to mind.

It occurred to me that this wouldn't have worked in my case since my longer extensions are 1/2" drive.

More
26 Aug 2015 10:46 #687193 by GPzMOD750
I have just discovered along with another member that the rear fender of the '82 GPz750/KZ750R is the same as the KZ750E and KZ750L.

More
26 Aug 2015 12:06 #687208 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Tips, Tricks & Secrets Thread
OK, here's one: Superglue works on rubber and up to 200 degrees F. Remember this the next time you're shopping for a new master cylinder dust boot or fork gaiter.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

More
26 Aug 2015 18:30 #687256 by Copbike1000
Replied by Copbike1000 on topic Tips, Tricks & Secrets Thread
Just returning from being away from the Forum for a while. Funny, I was thinking of the forum the other day and was wondering if there was a place for tip-of-the-day!

Here is mine...I have found the need to slip a piece of 2X4 under the kickstand of my Copbike1000 a few times. As we ALL know, as you settle the kickstand onto the 2X4, it usually slides away and you have to balance the bike while you align the 2X4 block just right.

Well, I have had two fairly large, round speaker magnets that I have stacked onto one another. I then set the magnets close to the kickstand and when I am ready to set the kickstand onto the magnets, they are attracted to the base of the kickstand and you now have a secure base to set the bike on. No slippage. I think I took these magnets off of a set of old 6X9 car speakers.

Daniel

1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P, Rancho Cordova, Ca
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598384...-project-bike#674472
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750