screeching sound

• Polareagle85
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 May 2015 17:16 #670341 by Polareagle85
screeching sound was created by Polareagle85
Hi guys this is my second post to the group. I have a issue that scares me kinda lol. OK when I'm riding around on my 81 kz440 as I go faster a screech/whistle sound starts and get louder as the bike engine brakes. The faster I go the louder it gets!! It's very upsetting with all the work I did and now this the bike runs great at idle and great while riding except the loud sound that's annoying..any ideas or help would be awesome thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2015 18:22 #670343 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic screeching sound
Clearly you need to positively identify the source of the noise. It could be related to the rotation of the brake rotor, the wheels, etc. or it could be engine related. One way to find out which group it's in is to get the bike running up at a speed when it's making the noise, click the tranny down into neutral, and shut off the engine. If the noise immediately stops it was coming from the engine. Doing this may also make it easier to tell if the noise is coming from the front or rear of the bike. It's possible the noise is coming from the clutch / transmission area, but this is not very likely.

Other considerations - does the noise begin at a certain bike speed (mph) regardless of what gear the tranny is in; or does it begin at a certain engine rpm? Also, does the bike make the noise if it is not moving but the engine is revved up some? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.