1980 KZ250? Should I snag it?

More
09 Apr 2015 05:38 #667230 by Spencer440
1980 KZ250? Should I snag it? was created by Spencer440
Saw this on craigslist this morning... Think it's a good deal? Doesn't look like that much work, but finding the parts might be somewhat of a problem.

memphis.craigslist.org/mcy/4969606170.html

1980 KZ440-B
1979 Kawasaki KZ650-C3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2015 07:46 #667250 by fixitmann
Replied by fixitmann on topic 1980 KZ250? Should I snag it?
I have a 1980 250ltd that I picked up years ago for $500 at a garage sale. Tank was rusty and the carb was plugged up. Lined the tank, cleaned the Carb and got it running and its a nice little bike that my wife and boy both learned on. 70+ MPG!!!

Issues that I experienced with ours:
Tire....Finding a rear tire was a little bit of a challenge as I recall, the size I went with was almost too wide, barely touched the chain guard. Not a big deal and may have just been the size we went with.
Carburetor... Mine had that pesky spring loaded "door" on the choke plate, mine was loose and ready to fall off. I sealed it in place, you just need to remember to crack the choke off of full as soon as it starts, Its also a very cold blooded bike. Runs fine once it warms up.
Exhaust.....The internal pipe inside the head pipe rattles.... a lot, kinda noisy.
Vibration.... Its a single so it will vibrate, a lot. Can be buzzy at speed.
Power...... Or lack of, I only tried once to take mine on the local Interstate.... wide open and barely able to keep my 200 lb. over fed butt at 55! Never again!! Fine for in town or up to 45 but it is not a highway bike!!!!

Should you buy it? Absolutely if it works for you and if for no other reason than to preserve it. I have a Clymer manual if you need any help, can scan and send you information if it is a help.

Wanna sell the head pipe? :laugh:

Pic of mine:

Attachment 250ltdresize.jpg not found

So the old Rocker gets out his bike to make a ton before he takes his leave. Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be. And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take and he hits the trunk road doing around 120 with no room left to brake.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spencer440

More
09 Apr 2015 08:00 #667251 by fixitmann
Ok wait a minute.... Looked your link.
I think the Starter is intact but looks like the case bolts are out so something is definitely happening under there, starter drive maybe. I know the ad mentions starter replacement as the reason its not running.
Not sure what if anything should be sticking out of the hole in the side of the case.
I can look in my Clymer when I get home if you like.
Also the primary sprocket cover is missing. Make sure you get all the parts if you go ahead.
It's small enough that if the battery is charged enough (or there) you could give it a shot of starting fluid and push start it to make sure it fires at least.
Could be more trouble than its worth but I don't know your plans or skill level, might wave a $100 bill at them in person and see what happens. :) Good luck!!

So the old Rocker gets out his bike to make a ton before he takes his leave. Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
his wind-whipped words echo the final take and he hits the trunk road doing around 120 with no room left to brake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spencer440

More
09 Apr 2015 08:25 #667254 by Spencer440
Replied by Spencer440 on topic 1980 KZ250? Should I snag it?
Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate that... Yeah I noticed that the stator engine cover is not there and as you said, the gear cover is missing. I am gonna go look at it this Saturday. If the engine turns over, and fires once, I will offer him $200. If the engine is seized or it doesn't fire, I'll offer him $100. I will keep you updated on it.

I would love to have a little 250 to putt around on, and more importantly, something that I can use to introduce more friends and family to riding.

1980 KZ440-B
1979 Kawasaki KZ650-C3

More
09 Apr 2015 08:33 #667256 by fixitmann
Just let me know if I can help. Good luck!