MMI

More
06 Sep 2014 12:16 #646416 by godsturd
MMI was created by godsturd
I have been looking at reviews of the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Phoenix and all I seem to find is how it isn't worth it and they are only after your money.

Is this true? Can this place really be that bad?

I am currently getting an associates degree with a focus on welding and was excited to continue school with a motorcycle focused school, but after researching this place it seems that it isn't at all what their website makes it out to be.

Didn't know where else I could ask this.
Any info would help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
06 Sep 2014 13:20 - 06 Sep 2014 13:22 #646424 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic MMI
I would go to your major local motorcycle shops / Kaw/Honda/Suki and ask the right person, service manager or owner what they look for when hiring. What do I need to do to work here, be hired. Go to the source.

Introduce yourself and ask if you could return with diploma to work for him or her.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2014 13:22 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
15 Sep 2014 13:56 #647651 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic MMI
I good friend of mine went to MMI. He had a good experience with it. He liked the manufacture specific training that was available and in general though it was a decent program. When he got back home he was unable to get a job as a service tech, the worked in customer service for the dealership and eventually moved into the marine service group where he still works today. Did he need to go to UTI to get the job has now... probably not.

For profit vocational schools are very expensive, and have no guarantee's. In the Automotive world they are almost a straight up scam, leaving graduates with a big tuition bill and an even bigger bill from the Snap-on tool guy. I didn't go that route, I stated working in a small garage changing oil and sweeping the floor. When I graduated high school I started working for a Ford dealership and they sent me to training. I worked as a mechanic there and moved back to a small shop where I got even more training. I was going to college for engineering during all of this, but if I didn't make through school I still had a decent job.

Bottom line, you don't need to go to a vocational school, if you show initiative you can get into the field on your own. I know a few people that went to WyoTech, it worked out for some and not so for others. Its not a waste if you put good effort into your education.

What ever you do, do not listen to the Tool guy, he is the devil himself trying to sell you crap you don't need yet. Most of my tools I bought were repossessed by the Mac and Snap-on guys from the kids at the tech school...

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
The following user(s) said Thank You: godsturd

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
15 Sep 2014 14:16 #647655 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic MMI
I Toured MMI in North Phoenix. Nice school in all respects. Trouble is the jobs they could point my son to were in odd places and none close to home. You will learn a trade and have a good foundation in the industry, but that is just the beginning. Also toured UTI in sw phoenix area, It was very impressive .
My son chose to get his 2 year degree at a local community college that had a very good mechanical program in bikes , cars , welding and other trades. He graduated with a degree as well as all the auto classes in the program. He kicked around a year in small garages before being picked up by a large local Buick, GMC Dealership. First changing oil , then they paid him to pair up and mentor under their lead mechanic for about 18 months and that is how he really learned to be a good wrench. Now he is being scouted to join GM at the GM Proving Grounds This makes both of us happy as not only is it a premium place to really see new cutting edge technology , But they will pay him hourly in stead of on commission. Which has always been the tough thing for most dealership mechanics
Bottom line is get in the door some where and if you are any good , other doors can open

But a strong resume sure helps

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• HBKwaka
  • Visitor
15 Sep 2014 17:40 #647690 by HBKwaka
Replied by HBKwaka on topic MMI
Join the military, training is free, college after as well plus best time of your LIFE.

More
15 Sep 2014 23:08 #647721 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Re:MMI
My neighbor went there, I will ask him for some feedback. He wanted to get on at three HD shop they told him he had to get certified. He got certified through MMI, but he didn't end up like the the job once he got it. He made better money working out of his garage. He made more money and the bike owners saved money.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your goal after attending MMI.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project