kz versus my goldwing

• crusierlover
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jul 2014 02:13 #641707 by crusierlover
kz versus my goldwing was created by crusierlover
I ride a 96 goldwing.I used to have a 1000 m, 2 mk2 motors, 2 frames, and was going to try to start a business doing things with them.The kz is the ultimate classic muscle bike in my opinion.But my buddy that has all the brains and knowhow drifted off to a dark place in his life and I sold all my parts.I recenty found a deal on a great looking police bike for $1950.I ride the goldwing because it is a tourer, and goldwings don't break.My idea of perfection is the rootbeer and orange original.Just the bike.No addons.I never will own one, but that is my dream bike.

Proud owner of 1982 650csr again soon. keeping it this time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
28 Jul 2014 09:12 #641736 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic kz versus my goldwing
Welcome to the KZ Rider Forum. I understand your muscle bike lust. If you do not have the opportunity to own one, I hope you at least get to ride one. B)

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

More
28 Jul 2014 10:43 #641742 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic kz versus my goldwing
I own a 1988 KZ100-P7 police bike and a 1990 Gl1500 Goldwing. I bought the Goldwing because my wife said she would like to try riding 2 up on vacations. I thought she would hate it but it turns out she enjoys it and makes a great travelling companion.

You are correct that the goldwing does not break, but it does require quite a bit of fiddly maintenance. Also it's covered in ABS plastic parts. Those parts have tabs that seem to break of quite easily with age. Also some of the trim parts will simply fall off if you don't stick them down with silicone adhesive.

The goldwing has a surprisingly good torque to weight ratio. The engine purrs. But the bike weighs 900 lbs dry. The center of gravity is low and forward making maneuverability good. For a tour bike it is surprisingly nimble in the twisties.

Put 350 lbs of riders and 50 lbs of gear in the trunk and saddle bags and mountain passes become interesting on the downhill side.

The KZ1000-p7 is tones of fun. I replace the boards with pegs and dropped the heal-toe shifter. I'm still getting used to the high pitch engine. I also find the bike runs better if you push the RPMs near redline now and then.

One issue with the police bike is that people, particularly over 30 think you are the police. This is good for safety. Very few people pull out in front of you. The problem is that if they are in front of you they are very law abiding. I often ask myself, "why is everyone driving so slow?"

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.