northern Va repair shop

More
23 Oct 2013 20:20 #610971 by nickleo373
northern Va repair shop was created by nickleo373
Hey everyone.
My bike needs a new valve cover gasket and I have no experience taking the engine parts apart. The shop I was planning to take it to just went out of business and the kawasaki dealer doesn't work on anything this old. Does anyone know of a repair shop in the northen VA area that works on older bikes?

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2013 13:03 #611616 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic northern Va repair shop
It's about an hour from Northern VA, but Used Bike Emporium near BWI will work on it. The owner has a pretty nice collection of vintage KZ's in the showroom, including a mint all original ELR.
Have you thought about doing it yourself? If you're sure it's the valve cover gasket, that's a relatively easy job. You're not really getting inside the engine. It's a cover. Remove the tank and it's 10 or 12 10mm bolts. Spend the money you would have been charged for labor on a decent torque wrench...not Harbor Freight, but not necessarily Snap-on either. Sears/Craftsman would work fine. I'm sure you can find the torque spec on line. Tighten bolts in a criss-cross if the manual doesn't give a torque pattern. You'll be done in an hour and know a little bit more about your bike.

More
30 Oct 2013 13:15 #611621 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic northern Va repair shop
Thanks for the reply. I've thought about doing it myself but I'm finding a lot of the bolts and screws are pretty stuck. I tried kroil and liquid wrench with no luck. I dont want to deal with the extra labor cost of having a shop remove the stripped screws after I mess them all up.

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"