Just looked at the KZ1000 Again, Total Game Change

• Inaworldoflint
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jun 2013 21:12 #593658 by Inaworldoflint
I went and looked at the KZ again and this time my brother in law was there. Before I was just texting and talking to my wife's sister. The major concern I found out about is the bike has not been risen or started for almost 20 years. The throttle only turned about an 1/8 of a turn. The clutch felt kind of tight but smooth and no binding. The front brake didn't need to be pumped up and did not leak down when I was pulling on it. And I pulled hard. I couldn't test the rear brake because the crash bar was bent and blocking it. The gas tank was empty, no rust, but smelled like varnish. Sprockets were good but the chain is rusted. No cooling fins broken but still a ton of dust. Any major differance from the 5 years that his wife thought it been since running to the real 20. The rims came off his brothers bike that wa about to be repo years ago. Think it's still worth a grand? It's not being advertised for sale so I'm not to worried about someone buying out from under me. Anything else to look at. Anything more it might need to get it street worthy? I really appreciate everyone's help. Thanks so much.....james

2012 HD Softail Deluxe
1971 Honda Z-50A K2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2013 21:29 #593663 by GregZ
Your previous post says seller wanted $600 for it. Now it's a grand?
Go back with six C notes and toss the bike in the back of your truck, trailer whatever. If you cannot clean carbs ,tank, install tires etc Put it on fleabay for 1500 and take the money go buy something that runs.
The tank side covers and tail are worth $600.
If that bike was near me it would already be in my garage. oops garage is full it would be on the patio with the other turds

Attachments:

More
24 Jun 2013 11:10 #593711 by upncummr
The throttle cable probably needs to be lubricated. But more than that the carbs need to be cleaned. It's likely the throttle butterflies are stuck in position as a result of varnished gasoline.