Looking at the KZ 1000 again

• Inaworldoflint
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2013 10:12 #593484 by Inaworldoflint
Looking at the KZ 1000 again was created by Inaworldoflint
Hello, I want tp thank everyone that has given me help on my last posts. (pics of KZ1000 and need more help) I am going to look at the bike one last time today and just wanted to know if there is anything I need to look at really close. The battery is dead and so I cannot start it. But what else should I look at. Brakes, chain, clutch, throttle? Anything and everything you tell me will help. If all goes well I should buy the bike in the next couple of weeks and will more advice about starting a bike that's been sitting or 5 years. A couple of members made inquiries about maybe buying the fairing or backrest. If you could PM me or let me know how to do it I am sure something could be worked out. Thanks everyone......jimmy

2012 HD Softail Deluxe
1971 Honda Z-50A K2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
22 Jun 2013 12:59 - 22 Jun 2013 13:21 #593493 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Looking at the KZ 1000 again
If you can get that bike for a thousand dollars buy it or someone else will.

Look for broken engine fins and bent rims.

Everything needs to be gone over and expect to replace things like ;

Brake lines , brakes , bearings, tires, tubes, O rings, gaskets, seals, hoses, fork seals and dust covers, bulbs,headlight parts, carb holders, carb boots.

Unless the chain and sprockets were replaced once those will be needed too, check the adjusters and see if there is still room to move the wheel back.

I am probably forgetting a bunch of stuff but if you replace all these things your bike should ride nicely unless you have to replace any electrical stuff , with reminds me, look up MFolks's essay on cleaning up your electrical components.

Like I said before if you want a great running bike expect to shell out around 1000 to 1200 bucks, if you are doing your own work.

PS, new shocks will cost about 250 with springs for a decent set, much better than stock !

We are here to help.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 22 Jun 2013 13:21 by bluej58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.