Need Some More Help

• Inaworldoflint
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2013 12:33 #592876 by Inaworldoflint
Need Some More Help was created by Inaworldoflint
Thank you all so much for the help. I really appreciate it. I found out some more about the bike in question and have a few more. If you look at my post Pics of the KZ 1000 you can see some of the questions and answers I got. And see the bike I am interested in. But some new info. First off the price went up to $995.00. I guess he saw this sight or watched Mad Max!! It is a 1978 with 1979 wheels his brother added. What would the original wheels have been. Would it still have the dual front disc when new. And the fairing. Is thatfromthe factory or was it added later. He bought that way. Cn it be removed very easy. I didn't see any headlight brackets or pockets. Can that be added. Is it worth more with the current wheels, and is it still worth $1000. I dont like the fairing and that could be a deal breaker. The saddle bags can be removed easy. Just to let new readers know, it has about 14,000 miles on it and has not been started or ridden for about 5 years. Thanks everyone.

2012 HD Softail Deluxe
1971 Honda Z-50A K2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2013 13:33 - 18 Jun 2013 13:41 #592880 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Need Some More Help
Dont wait too long, these bikes dont come around everyday,go there with $600.00 and put it in his hands, bring an extra hundred just in case. I saw pics of bike and even at $1000.00 its a deal, you should have seen what I got for $500.00, this one is an 8 out of ten and mine was a 2 out of ten.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2013 13:41 by mopguy. Reason: adding

More
18 Jun 2013 19:52 #592939 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Need Some More Help
JUMP ON IT, DONT WAIT ANY LONGER

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

• Inaworldoflint
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2013 12:58 #593059 by Inaworldoflint
Replied by Inaworldoflint on topic Need Some More Help
Ok, thank you much for the help. And yes I agree. Take the fairing and rear sissy bar/saddle bags off. But that is the biggest question I got now. How hard is it to take off the front fairing? The owner is not sure if his brother bought with it on or put it on after purchase. I thought it was a Windjammer but it has The Kawasaki emblems on it. And there is no headlight mount on the forks. Is the fairing from the factory? Is it something they just took off the headlight, turnsignals, and mount and put the fairing on? I can see how to get the sissy bar off. It's just the fairing breaking the deal now. Thank everyone.....jimmy

2012 HD Softail Deluxe
1971 Honda Z-50A K2

More
19 Jun 2013 14:21 #593075 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Need Some More Help
im sure its a windjammer that was made for kawasaki. it shouldnt be that hard to remove. you may have to get a new headlight bucket if the headlight is part of the fairing.

Inaworldoflint wrote: Ok, thank you much for the help. And yes I agree. Take the fairing and rear sissy bar/saddle bags off. But that is the biggest question I got now. How hard is it to take off the front fairing? The owner is not sure if his brother bought with it on or put it on after purchase. I thought it was a Windjammer but it has The Kawasaki emblems on it. And there is no headlight mount on the forks. Is the fairing from the factory? Is it something they just took off the headlight, turnsignals, and mount and put the fairing on? I can see how to get the sissy bar off. It's just the fairing breaking the deal now. Thank everyone.....jimmy

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
19 Jun 2013 14:38 - 19 Jun 2013 14:41 #593076 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Need Some More Help

Inaworldoflint wrote: Ok, thank you much for the help. And yes I agree. Take the fairing and rear sissy bar/saddle bags off. But that is the biggest question I got now. How hard is it to take off the front fairing? The owner is not sure if his brother bought with it on or put it on after purchase. I thought it was a Windjammer but it has The Kawasaki emblems on it. And there is no headlight mount on the forks. Is the fairing from the factory? Is it something they just took off the headlight, turnsignals, and mount and put the fairing on? I can see how to get the sissy bar off. It's just the fairing breaking the deal now. Thank everyone.....jimmy

Vetter made Windjammers for Kawasaki from the same molds as their own fairings. Kawasaki put their own emblems and graphics on them.

It's easy to remove. On the left inside of the fairing is a 9 pin plug, pull that. Inside on the bottom are some bolts or studs holding the fairing to the bracket. Remove them. Lift the fairing off the bracket. Pack it up and ship it to me. :P The bracket is held on to the frame with the hose clamps. Remove them. There may be a bolt going through the bracket and a cross tube in the neck area of the frame, remove that and include the bracket with the fairing.

You'll need a headlight assy. Bucket, inner and outer rims, fork ears and sundry hardware. You can get all of it at Redline Cycle in Skokie Illinois or elsewhere. You can use the lamp in the fairing.

I really don't need a fairing, I have two. But I could use the emblems, pocket covers and headlamp adjustment knob if you wind up scrapping the fairing. They aren't rare but a nice one will bring a few bucks.

Great find on the bike BTW. When you get it home and cleaned up, post more pictures. I've got a '78 LTD and love it.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
Last edit: 19 Jun 2013 14:41 by TomW.

More
19 Jun 2013 14:50 #593078 by kzcurt
Replied by kzcurt on topic Need Some More Help
This is the 1100 without the fairing for reference....

Attachment IMG_0504_2013-06-19.JPG not found

Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,
Attachments:

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
19 Jun 2013 15:28 #593083 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Need Some More Help
Like Tom says ,it's easy to remove a Vetter fairing.

On my son's kz650 the headlight bucket and ears were still attached , the turn signals were the originals minus the stems just bolted to the fairing.

No cut wires , Vetter used a matching plug to connect everything, just an extra hot wire to the battery to remove.

Very easy.

I might be interested in that rack if you are taking it off :P

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A