Z1-R Turbo Official TCC Sales Log book

More
08 Jan 2013 02:49 #566332 by cmore
Replied by cmore on topic Z1-R Turbo Official TCC Sales Log book
The log book is very real as i have held it in my hands to leaf through it and to verify my own early log pipe equipped blue 78 Z1R TC. I worked for this gentleman in 06 - 07 and assisted in building a collection of 8 1978 Z1R TC's over the course of about 18 months. Most were purchased in complete running condition off of ebay and through private sales.
The logbook is a thin standard accountant style and carried a complete list of all conversions done over the course of TCC's time in business. It carries the frame VIN #, engine serial, dealership delivery name and finally original purchaser with dates. It does not specify body colors, or the different 'stages' of build (3) which some bikes had done at extra cost (in California by ATP). These stages are clearly mentioned in TCC literature for owners.
All standard conversions were done 'bolt on' after removing stock components and the bikes never removed from their delivery crates at the different distribution warehouses throughout the United States - some of which were in New Jersy, Texas, Nebraska and others. The crated assemblies were then sent to their respective dealerships for settup and delivery to the new owner.
The log book was given to this party by the installation manager for TCC who is now in his golden years and no longer interested with his infamous past. There were also many 'dealer installed' kits that were never entered into the log book as anyone could buy the systems in kit form. The specific number of OEM blue verusus Molly painted bikes is completely unknown with only approximate numbers and a vague time frame for paint change as recorded in media literature.
The TCC installed 'dated conversion sticker' usually found on the back of the fork ear of a fair number of Mollies was to document that the conversion was done prior to the state of California law basically outlawing exhaust mods which clearly would not meet 'new oem emission standards'. This basically signaled the death toll for TCC coupled with week sales as a result of no dealer warranty and stiff competition from other marques.
Sooooo, basically there are many, many pieces not officially in the log - but if a bike carries the correct equipment - they are essentially the same product. There are also many Z1R TC's who 'lost' their special equipment over the years for various reasons. Many met early an demise at the track and many were destroyed along with their owners out on the street and lost forever. There are most likely many 78 Z1R owners out there today that have no idea what their toys past may have been. Once a spool bearing was toasted - the equipment was frequently removed, shelved or sold and carb with standard exhaust put in their place.
Until the log is made public - and that will probably not happen in this guys lifetime - your only recourse is to track him down and make an inquiry. I prefer to remain out of the loop as I am in drama free mode at this point in my life. There are files posted online @ google with clearly taken photos and description detailing the specific equipment that TCC used - you either have that equipment or you don't. There were several other turbo system companies that were either before TCC or followed in their foot steps such as Blake Eng., RC, Mr. Turbo of course and some others whoes names escape me at present. These other brand systems are unique in pipe design and look nothing like ATP's aside from the commonly used 'well engineered' Rajay spool.
I have seen too much debate, conjecture - not to mention bickering - posted over the years to become involved in a debate on this topic. I have been All Kaw All Day Everyday for over 35 years. These are the facts, do with it what you will..........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.