Torque ∝ HP

More
08 Dec 2012 19:56 #562084 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Torque ∝ HP
Its different over there. Kids go to school most of the year and graduate at 16 if there going to a trade school they already went at 14. And get paid crap but go to school 1 day a week for the trade and work the rest of the time. Takes 9 years to be a master at your trade. Can't just have money and start a business.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
08 Dec 2012 22:02 #562099 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Torque ∝ HP

Del_Herring wrote:

OK Im old back in the day when I went to trade school in Germany architects and engineers had to work at every trade for 3 months and new what the hell they where doing before they graduated after many years. Didnt have a pc

I wish that were still the case. They still try to push internships, but every time companies need to cut budgets, interns are the first to go, so they're hard to come by right now. And all the government regs make it illegal/really hard, to hire interns for free anymore. I had the benefit of going to a small school, so we did almost all of our own machine work on everything, and had an old machinist to scream at us about how dumb we were. But most other engineers I've met in my travels didn't ever set foot in a machine shop. And that's why I've had to call up engineers and explain why I wasn't going to send a drawing out with a square hole. (Mill ends rotate, you can't cut an inside square corner, at least not without some expensive and pointless machinery)

The way some of my customers run me around I feel like Im still doing a free internship somedays after 30 plus years of practicing in the trades! :woohoo:

Theres nothing wrong with internships that's how I learned to turn wrenches when I was a kid,bugging the guys enough till theyd give me some minor project to do to shut me up when I was 9-10 years old.
Little did they know Id keep coming back wanting bigger projects to do,yeah they created a monster! :woohoo:
That's the same way I got into the various construction trades way back when,when I didn't have nothing to do Id help the guys on the other trades and learn to do some of their stuff also so I didn't have to bug them everytime I needed something B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.