Best place to find ads for KZ's?

More
06 Dec 2012 13:28 #561671 by whitbyrudie
Best place to find ads for KZ's? was created by whitbyrudie
Hey folks, I had to lay my bike (81 kz1000 CSR) down last sunday (lesser of 2 evils, was that or put it into the hood the of the woman who decided a good time to completely crowd my lane while turning left). Wasn't going to fast, 35km/h the damage is cosmetic mostly.

So here's my question, where's a good place to find ads for KZ's for sale? The mechanic told me they try to find something of fair market value but mentioned if I can supply him with any ads that they would try to use those. The reasoning is, if the repairs cost more then the bike, then they're just going to give me cash and take the bike and I really don't want that to happen, all but three of the problems are cosmetic (headlight smashed, right blinker smashed and engine guard was grinded down to about half). So i'm looking on my own to try to find a good price for the bike as I really don't want to have to give it up.

Any advice on where to look would be appreciated.
Cheers
Chris

81 KZ1000 CSR
Vancouver Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Dec 2012 13:41 #561673 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Best place to find ads for KZ's?
Sometimes the insurance company will let you keep the bike.
Then give you a salvage title receipt. Or something like that.
They will take some money off of the total settlement.
Take whatever you can get, fix it for half of that.

I got to keep a 76 KZ900 in 1980 for $200 off of the $2,000 value.

If you can keep the bike, try ebay. You are close to the USA, easy shipping of parts.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
06 Dec 2012 14:09 #561676 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Best place to find ads for KZ's?
The US has NADA they may allow that for value i am suprised they dont have a similar setup for bikes in your country

go online find the part the body shop says it needs ptint out the prices and agree to take the dollar amount of those parts as settlement they may say ok

here in the states the insurance adjusters are bullys and act as if they can take your stuff because it was wrecked be a bigger bully

chances are the adjuster would rather write a check for 1500.00 than to call his boss but give him the ammunition

redline american Classix is probably the most expensive of the suppliers I've seen
get NADA from the US printout Kelly blue book and whatever else price refverence you can

then get get printouts for the cheapsest parts you can remember there is labor and bodyshops dicount that for insurance companies if your willing to fox it present them with an offer of settlement without totalling or salvage titling your bike

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
07 Dec 2012 13:35 #561880 by whitbyrudie
Replied by whitbyrudie on topic Best place to find ads for KZ's?
Thanks for you replies guys.

You can fight them on it, but it's difficult. In British Columbia, it's not set up like it is anywhere else, we don't have insurance companies, as in plural. All insurance is through the provincially set up Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), which yes, means they have a monopoly, it also means they take being an insurance bully to a whole new level. If I have to fight them it means getting lawyers involved, so I'm hoping I can avoid that by finding a few adds showing the bike is worth more then what I originally paid for it in the summer (500)

Z1kzonly,
I'll definitely take a look at those suppliers thanks! Hopefully this will help

Cheers

81 KZ1000 CSR
Vancouver Canada

More
07 Dec 2012 20:27 #561936 by gixxerfiend
Replied by gixxerfiend on topic Best place to find ads for KZ's?
motorcycles.yakaz.com/

I have a buddy that just went through the same thing. Bluebook and tax value was way low on his not so pristine 1980 cb650. My friend basically told him that he would not be able to replace the bike for less then $2000 even though he only had around $800 dollars into it. The adjuster kept going higher and higher but stopped at $1700, he eventually ended up getting paid $2000 after he threatened to get an attourney.

2006 GSXR 1000
2005 CBR 600rr
1977 KZ 650

More
08 Dec 2012 01:31 #561980 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Best place to find ads for KZ's?
Hi whitbyrudie
aside from checking your local Craigslist and Kijiji you could keep an eye on Autotrader.ca www.autotrader.ca/
You can search by model.

I just took a quick look and selected National (Canada) and there's a 77 KZ900 in Halifax for $2,000. Not a lot for sale this time of year but maybe a similar one to yours will pop up next week

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust