getting an abandoned motorcycle title

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Oct 2012 05:11 #555989 by gixxerkidd03
getting an abandoned motorcycle title was created by gixxerkidd03
So there is a 93 Suzuki vs1400 intruder abandoned in my parking lot for 2 years.I went to the court house to get a title application. But I need proof that I tried to contact the past register owner. There are no tags or plates.Now I was told the best way would be to hire a private investigator to have them run the VIN. Has anyone ever had any experience with attaining a title for an abandoned bike? Im trying to save it from another winter of abuse.

1981 KZ750e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2012 08:14 #555991 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic getting an abandoned motorcycle title
My buddy got a title for an abandoned bike. Did your title office happen to mention what they considered an acceptable attempt to contact the owner? I know the person who got his title for him ran an ad in the legal section of the paper for 16 weeks or something like that describing the bike where it was abandoned, etc. and that was acceptable to the state of Alabama. Check with you state and find out what they require. The title office won't be the best source of information as to how to do this.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

More
27 Oct 2012 10:15 #555995 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic getting an abandoned motorcycle title
Run an ad in the paper is the easiest way since 9/11 privacy laws make it harder to get owner information

the dmv is no longer allowed to give you that info based on the vin or plate number. a lawyer or court can get that info.

The DMV has r request for iinformation form its only a couple bucks to file it lets you know if it is a legal vehicle and if it has a legoit title in a specific state.

The first thing you need to do is have a police inspection done so as to not waste your time
call the police department have them do a police inspection they just run the numbers against the stolen vehicle data base if its stolen you dont want to invest a bunch of time

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Nov 2012 23:10 #560722 by gixxerkidd03
Replied by gixxerkidd03 on topic getting an abandoned motorcycle title
all right so just a little update if any one was wondering. i ran the VIN at the police station and the bike is not stolen. they gave me the address of the last registered owner. from there i went to the dmv to get the requirements for an ATTEMPT TO CONTACT. which was sent by certified mail to the last address along with copies of all other paper work. if the letter gets sign for and you hear nothing for 15 days you can bring everything to a judge and start the title process which does consist of a news paper ad. my was returning as UNDELIVERABLE. so i went to the judge just to find out that this thing is currently registered! i got a different address for the judge so i just paid him a visit. he said he was thinking of donateing it. there is an issues with the title he said the title was at a credit union in HI which is now out of business. is it worth it to get a bill of sale from this guy and start a new title process. with all the work that i have done so far i feel like it wont be to hard. any suggestions?

1981 KZ750e

More
01 Dec 2012 00:30 #560730 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic getting an abandoned motorcycle title
Sounds like an awful lot of effort for a Suzuki. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
01 Dec 2012 00:51 #560735 by gixxerfiend
Replied by gixxerfiend on topic getting an abandoned motorcycle title
So it has a lien then? Im interested in hearing what the outcome is, I wonder what happens now since you cant get a lien release?

2006 GSXR 1000
2005 CBR 600rr
1977 KZ 650

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Dec 2012 02:53 #560757 by gixxerkidd03
not a ton of work really. i sent a few letters and a few vists to the dmv. ill see what goes into this title thing.

1981 KZ750e

More
01 Dec 2012 03:24 #560760 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic getting an abandoned motorcycle title
I hate getting titles. you and i are in the same boat my friend :D and for a suzuki even! It really sucks how hard it is to get a stupid piece of paper. Have you put a battery in it and some fresh gas to see if it fires up or not? Im curious:D You can usually hot wire these things pretty easy. There are alot of videos on Youtube on how to pick a motorcycle ignition. You can do it with an Eyeglass repair kit. I know it sounds bad but... my uncle showed me how to on a Yamaha XS1100 B) Worked for me when i lost the keys to my KZ1000LTD for a while. Then i found them again.

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Dec 2012 05:24 #560766 by gixxerkidd03
i remember seeing the bike run. and after talking to the owner this evening, he said the bike sat for a few years during a divorce and after that he had someone run though the engine. the bike sounded great from what i remember. the condition is not so great right now but, we'll see. i throw some photos around if i get it. i may push it in the garage tomorrow since he said it was cool. plus reno is having some pretty shitty weather right now.

1981 KZ750e

More
01 Dec 2012 09:36 #560773 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic getting an abandoned motorcycle title
If theres a lein on it, a bank somewhere has the title. You can pay it off and get the title.

Or buy a used frame off ebay. Make sure you contact the seller first that it comes with a clean title. They cant put that info in the ad, so email them.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
01 Dec 2012 10:25 #560775 by RTGPZ
Replied by RTGPZ on topic getting an abandoned motorcycle title
I would buy a frame with a title off ebay and be done with it .Your gonna go thru the bike and make sure its road worthy .Problem solved and less of a hastle, I,ve done this and it was the best way for me!

old school w/ new look
02gsxr 1000 front forks w/6 piston calipers
06 gxsr 750 rear suspension
6 speed trans out of gpz550
Reinforced frame

More
02 Dec 2012 14:53 #560970 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic getting an abandoned motorcycle title
Here in TX file for a bonded title about $150.00
After 6 months no one makes a claim the dmv will issue a clear title.
If a claim is made the reg. owner pays your costs to claim the bike
or signs the title over to you.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.