Help with brakes issue

More
25 Oct 2012 10:23 #555706 by Rocks
Help with brakes issue was created by Rocks
Hi,
I washed my bike yesterday and now I can't backup. It goes fine forward but something is locking up when I try to backup. I tr4iede adjusting the brakes and If I give it enough plsy to backup thre iw too much slack in the front brakes. I don't undersstand why it rolls forward with no problem but backwards it just won't move. Please help as this is a serious dangerous issue. The bike is an 80 kz440b

Rocks
'83 KZ440b

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2012 10:34 #555707 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Help with brakes issue
You need to take the wheel off and brakes apart and inspect the shoes (I assume drum brakes on your model). Check to make sure that the shoe pad material is completely bonded to the metal surface of the shoe metal. I had a situation where the brakes started making noise. Inspected it visually and didn't see anything wrong with the shoes and plenty of meat. Next time I had them apart I inspected again but this time pulled on the edges on the front and the rear of the shoe pads. Found they would separate from the metal with little trouble. Not the whole pad but the leading front in my case. If yours checks out O.K. then a good inspection should turn something else up. Good luck.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.