What is a ATP turbo worth and anything to look for

More
28 Jul 2012 17:06 #539236 by kawtoy
I have a guy that wants to trade my drag bike rolling chassis for his KZ ATP turbo setup. He thinks it came off a ZR1 but not sure. Missing the fuel pump and a few oil lines but everything else is there. I am asking $500 for the drag bike but since I haven't got any real bites on it I am willing to take just about anything to get rid of it (damn thing is long and takes up a lot of room). Also is there anything specific to look for when I check it out (play in the turbo and so on)? A turbo set up will take up no room in the garage and I already have 2 extra 1000 engines so if I could find a cheap bike with a blown or missing engine I could build a fun little bike for under $1000. Hmmmmm, who is this little guy on my shoulder whispering in my ear? :evil:

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2012 17:14 #539238 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic What is a ATP turbo worth and anything to look for

kawtoy wrote: I have a guy that wants to trade my drag bike rolling chassis for his KZ ATP turbo setup. He thinks it came off a ZR1 but not sure. Missing the fuel pump and a few oil lines but everything else is there. I am asking $500 for the drag bike but since I haven't got any real bites on it I am willing to take just about anything to get rid of it (damn thing is long and takes up a lot of room). Also is there anything specific to look for when I check it out (play in the turbo and so on)? A turbo set up will take up no room in the garage and I already have 2 extra 1000 engines so if I could find a cheap bike with a blown or missing engine I could build a fun little bike for under $1000. Hmmmmm, who is this little guy on my shoulder whispering in my ear? :evil:

Its me saying "sell powerstroke_fan the turbo setup"!!!! lol But if its good shape and you wanna get rid of let me know first. Ive wanted a turbo for my bike forever now.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Jul 2012 17:26 #539243 by z1kzonly
Hi Shane, I sold this over a month ago. Got over the grand for it. Guy paid me extra to end auction.
You will most likely need the RayJay rebuild kit. $250 dollars. Getting rare!
But, you could sell that and ship it easier on ebay than that chassis.
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110879948888

I have a KZ roller in my dining room/warehouse. I would like to unload this also for $500.
This area, Western New York is tough to sell. There are only a few older guys left that dragrace at Lancaster that run the KZ's Rico, Fletch and Pugs. Gonna have to start calling the KZ's nostalgia racers. Young guys hop on a new rocket 600cc street bike and go just as fast as a $10,000 Z1/KZ dragbike.

Take the turbo and turn it in to money!

Marty in Buffalo

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
28 Jul 2012 17:42 #539244 by les holt
Oh, I'd say it's worth about $550, $50 more than the bike, Where you want me to send the money? :laugh: :laugh:

You're coming out way on top. An intake alone just brought $179.05 on e-bay and I quit at $155. The last complete turbo setup I sold was for a dragbike, BIG STUFF, and I got $1800.

Les

More
28 Jul 2012 18:19 #539247 by kawtoy
Thanks guys. Hopefully it is decent and not missing tons of parts.

Marty,thanks for that link. I saved the picture so I will be able to compare to his to see what is missing. If it is worth good money and there are guys out there that actually need it I won't bother putting it on a shelf in the hopes I get to build a bike "someday". The guy really only wants the swingarm but he said he can find people to sell the rest to. I am going tomorrow so I will let you guys know how it tuns out. Is there anyway to tell if the turbo unit is still useable without needing a rebuild or is it one of those things that guys will go ahead and rebuild anyway just to be sure.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
28 Jul 2012 23:26 #539279 by RonKZ650
Last time and also the only time I bought an ATP turbo kit I paid $600. A waste of $600. I learned my lesson. I guess I "thought" I learned my lesson , but found a Z1R-TC virtually brand new with 700 miles on it and bought it for $8,000. A waste of $8,000. I've bought and sold a few things, I'm not much into selling, but I was so glad to get rid of those turbos. I'd rather ride an old KZ250 on the road and have fun. Turbo is no fun, just garbage. Guess that's why they only built the few turbo bikes they did and good riddance to them all except the GPZ750. I never had one though, so chances are I'm dreaming in outer space like I was with them two previous botch excuses for equipment. I won't even put a smiley face after that sentence as no smile possible in any topic involving turbo+motorcycle except a big smiley when it's gone the hell away, far away. :P

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
29 Jul 2012 00:49 #539295 by vernons
guess my experience with the z1r tc's were a little more positive!!! i bought one back in the early 80's for 2000.00!!! rings were history when i got it... still run like a bat out of hell with almost zero compression!!! me and a good friend installed 1075 turbo pistons and o-ringed it while we were at it.. needless to say it run great... very streetable and fun!! was always a big decision ride the 1075 turbo or 1170 z1??? both have been long gone for 25yr's!!! only thing not original on the z1r-tc was the custom paint... glad i don't drive now like i used to back then!!
actually the z1r got stolen after i advertised it for sale>>> long story short i got all my parts back minus frame,thief had to give me his z1r in a plea agreement...
found the original air filter and triangular breather going through my old parts that had been setting for 25yrs... and sold it for 185.00
you'll make money on the turbo parts for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments:

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
29 Jul 2012 09:30 #539342 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic What is a ATP turbo worth and anything to look for

RonKZ650 wrote: Last time and also the only time I bought an ATP turbo kit I paid $600. A waste of $600. I learned my lesson. I guess I "thought" I learned my lesson , but found a Z1R-TC virtually brand new with 700 miles on it and bought it for $8,000. A waste of $8,000. I've bought and sold a few things, I'm not much into selling, but I was so glad to get rid of those turbos. I'd rather ride an old KZ250 on the road and have fun. Turbo is no fun, just garbage. Guess that's why they only built the few turbo bikes they did and good riddance to them all except the GPZ750. I never had one though, so chances are I'm dreaming in outer space like I was with them two previous botch excuses for equipment. I won't even put a smiley face after that sentence as no smile possible in any topic involving turbo+motorcycle except a big smiley when it's gone the hell away, far away. :P

20 thousand miles on my turbo with very few issues. Best performance add on I ever did to my LTD. Thou mine is a Mr Turbo Kit.
just took home another 1rst place trophy at Detroit Bike Week for Best Performance Metric.

Sell it to Les so he and I can raise havoc in the Midwest together.
Best designed part on the old ATP kits is the high volume/flow intake manifold. Rest of the kit is OK other than the old carb will need to be replaced with a modern designed one for better performance.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
29 Jul 2012 09:37 #539343 by les holt
Keep pushin mister streetfighterltd and I might just have to put the turbo on, all I lack is another intake for a 2nd complete system. I've been thinking bout it awful hard. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Les

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
29 Jul 2012 09:45 #539345 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic What is a ATP turbo worth and anything to look for

les holt wrote: Keep pushin mister streetfighterltd and I might just have to put the turbo on, all I lack is another intake for a 2nd complete system. I've been thinking bout it awful hard. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Les

Les,
With all your talent and the availability of more expert help here , YOU NEED to finish a Turbo system. We need to design a one off intake for you out of billet to add to your triple tree, swingarm bag of tricks.
Wanna borrow my intake this winter to help push it forward ???? :evil: :evil:

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
30 Jul 2012 15:36 #539569 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic What is a ATP turbo worth and anything to look for
les,
sheetmetal intake :whistle: .

just sayin, :P .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0