Odd bike related experiences

More
27 Jul 2012 18:18 #539069 by 650ed
Odd bike related experiences was created by 650ed
Thought we might share a few war stories about unusual bike related experiences. I've had a few; here's a tame one...

One Sunday morning back in the good ole days a friend and I were scheduled to perform some computer maintenance on the second floor of the bank where we worked. We had been entrusted with keys to the lobby and offices (not the area with the $$$) and naturally assumed no one else would be entering the bank on a Sunday. The bank was in a bad area of Baltimore and we weren't about to leave our bikes outside, so we both drove our motorcycles through the lobby of the bank and parked them in the mortgage dept. while we worked on the second floor. A few hours later when we finished and came back downstairs to leave all the floor tiles in the lobby had been stripped off and tile adhesive had been applied to the subfloor. The flooring guys, who didn't know there was anyone else in the building, had left for a late lunch waiting for the adhesive to set a bit. We had no choice but to ride through the stuff so we could leave. I've always wondered what the flooring guys thought when they saw those motorcycle tracks in the adhesive in the bank lobby. :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
27 Jul 2012 19:11 #539078 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Odd bike related experiences
Good one Ed
I'm going to have to think about this for a while, so far all of my stories are probably better off left out of this thread. :whistle:

Now if this were Easy Rider or Iron Horse :woohoo:

78 KZ1000 A2A

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
27 Jul 2012 20:06 #539095 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Odd bike related experiences
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
27 Jul 2012 22:45 - 27 Jul 2012 22:45 #539127 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Odd bike related experiences
Purchased my first bike a DB450 back in the early 80's when home in Michigan for summer break. In the Fall, I stuffed the bike into my Ford Fiesta and drove it 1200 miles to Tampa, Fl. Putting it into the Fiesta required that I take off the front forks at the triple tree (left handle bars, forks and wheel as one piece) and rope it to its side. Required reassembly once I got there. Only thing was I lived in a 3rd floor dorm room. No problem, rolled in the elevator late at night and to my room. Reassembled next morning. Back down the elevator to the ground level. Never forget these guys surprise when the elevator opened up and I wheel out the 450 to through the lobby, lol. Should have started her up and drove her out. Or maybe not.

P.S. my buddies were amused that I was able to stuff the 450 in back of the Fiesta when glancing at it through the back hatch window.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 27 Jul 2012 22:45 by KZJOE900.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
27 Jul 2012 22:46 #539128 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Odd bike related experiences
Cool! :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Jul 2012 22:58 #539134 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Odd bike related experiences
I was in the USAF, based over at McConnell AFB Wichita Kansas in 1966, one of the more adventerous enlisted guys in the barracks, decided to get a front wheel & axle, and put marks on the walls and ceillings of his room, like somebody rode it there. He did this before he left for a 30 day leave, so he had a great excuse. The squadron first Sgt. never did figure out how he got the marks on the walls & ceillings.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
28 Jul 2012 00:07 - 28 Jul 2012 00:08 #539151 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Odd bike related experiences
I got one of those too Joe,

One night I borrowed :dry: my Mom's new 77 VW Rabbit to go back to ruff area in Chicago
to get my buddy and his broke down CB 350.

We stuffed it in the hatch and made it back OK :whistle:

I never told my Mom about that one, maybe it's time to come clean. :woohoo:

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 28 Jul 2012 00:08 by bluej58.

More
28 Jul 2012 00:45 #539171 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Odd bike related experiences

bluej58 wrote: I got one of those too Joe,

One night I borrowed :dry: my Mom's new 77 VW Rabbit to go back to ruff area in Chicago
to get my buddy and his broke down CB 350.

We stuffed it in the hatch and made it back OK :whistle:

I never told my Mom about that one, maybe it's time to come clean. :woohoo:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: She'll still get upset.

Rabbit may be a bit longer. Not sure. I took the tank and side overs off. Like I said, the whole front end was tied to the lefts side of the bike (cables still attached). Slid her in on its side with the head stem hitting the passenger seat. Moved the seat all the way forward and tilted back tilted forward as well.

Now after a year, I had to get rid of the bike after shifter went bad. So that's when I purchased my '74 Z1. That Fiesta was an incredible car. Once I finished school, I had to get the Z1 and all my belongings back to Michigan. So I had a hitch installed (not supposed to tow with this car). Rented a 6 x 4 enclosed U-Haul. Put the Z1 in there along with a bunch of other stuff. Books alone must have been 100 lbs and the 600 lb Z1. Plus a passenger. Drove it back up North. Made sure I went through the Smokey's in the coolness of the night time. I would speed up as much as possible coming to an ascent. There was a couple of times which I wasn't sure it would make. Not sure if I ever had to downshift to 1st gear. I know for a fact I used 2nd on a few occasions. Downhill were just as bad. Didn't want the brakes to overheat so I used brakes along with engine braking. Made it past the mountains just fine. ;)

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
28 Jul 2012 17:20 #539241 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Odd bike related experiences
I got some stares when I toured like this

Was back in 1994 and money was in short demand. So I had to carry a set of thick oilskins as my rain gear together with a pair of heavy construction rubber boots. Then there was the propane cooker, change of clothes, tools, a can of oil, spares and whatnot. Since then I've learned to pack more economically :D During the trip, while waiting for a ferry ride dressed in bright blue oilskins and orange construction boots, we heard a loud V-twin arriving. It was Ms. Delicacy, perfect in every detail right down to the sunshine travelling with her as a companion above her helmet. Naturally, this piece of Candy didn't need raingear... Anyway, I'm sure I made an impression on her. I strongly doubt it was a positive one :D

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Jul 2012 17:44 #539245 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Odd bike related experiences
The early 1980 Some Guys from Buffalo were working in the Cleveland suburbs.
There was a wedding in a National name hotel. The Groom rented a whole floor.
Wild,crazy, party etc.!!!! Blizzard!!!!! in the summer!
A good friend of mine took a stock 1978 KZ1000 up in the elevator.
burned out on the hall rug, left a black, melted nylon patch.
Needless to say!
When they took bike down and opened the door, Ohio State police and the locals
had their guns drawn. Cost my friend $1500 to fix the rug. Plus he had to call his Dad in Bflo to bail him out

True story

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!