84 KZ700 reliable? Easy to work on??

More
15 Jul 2012 11:10 #536046 by Somnospeed
84 KZ700 reliable? Easy to work on?? was created by Somnospeed
Hey everyone,
New here and new to vintage bikes (mostly). Ok, let me preface my questions with a little background about myself: I am a mechanical idiot. My dad is an awesome mechanic, bikes and cars, but instead of learning from him, he just fixed everything for me. (Not for my lack of willingness to learn, but more of him saying that he is too impatient and a horrible teacher.)

Anyway, I have an opportunity (if I don't sleep on it) to buy an 84 KZ700. I think the bike is beautiful (not caring that it's been repainted). But what I am asking all of you is are these bikes easy to work on and maintain? Obviously a reliable bike is what I'm looking for but I like the early 80's sport bikes and am not sure just how reliable some of them are. I've read what I could find by searching but mostly people posting about a specific problem. At the moment I'm looking at the big picture: Whether or not I should pull the trigger on this bike.

Any words of advice, tips or encouragement are appreciated.

Thanks!
Casey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2012 11:21 - 15 Jul 2012 11:22 #536050 by Somnospeed
Replied by Somnospeed on topic 84 KZ700 reliable? Easy to work on??
of yeah... are parts readily available? I know not as much as some of the old CB's and the like but are these mechanical parts out there if I need them?
Last edit: 15 Jul 2012 11:22 by Somnospeed.

More
15 Jul 2012 16:40 #536115 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic 84 KZ700 reliable? Easy to work on??
I have the older 650, onto which the 700 is based. The 650 is generally very simple to work on, overall one of the best bikes I've owned - which is about 30.

Starter clutch is a little weak, but most owners will never experience any issues.

Adjusting the valves will put you to the test, but if you take your time you can do it. If not, ask dad :D

Other than that, it's just another basic motorcycle. Make sure the bike have good tyres, good brakes - check discs for scoring and pads for wear - a good chain a sprockets - if you see air between sprocket and chain when you pull it backwards of the rear of the rear sprocket, you'll soon need a new set - and that it starts easily and runs evenly. Also check shock absorbers for leaks and the same with the fork legs. Check for pitting as well.

Once statisfied that it's sound - or priced accordingly - you shouldn't go wrong. Most parts are available new - the engine was made in 750 form until a decade ago - and used bits are easy to come by as well.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition
The following user(s) said Thank You: Somnospeed

More
15 Jul 2012 17:36 #536126 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 84 KZ700 reliable? Easy to work on??
Extremely reliable and easy to work on. As stated, they are based on the KZ650. I've owned my KZ650 for 35 years and can attest to its reliability. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Somnospeed

More
20 Jul 2012 10:59 #537253 by HDDAN
Replied by HDDAN on topic 84 KZ700 reliable? Easy to work on??
There is one flaw on these machines and I know this from 30 years ago when I had an 81 KZ750E. The primary chain is a hyvo chain driven from the center of the crankshaft. These chains stretch and start bouncing off of the lower end case at idle. The only fix other than a teardown is to run the idle high to keep the chain from whipping.And yes, I know that they used these engines in the Turbo.