Help and/or parts wanted: saddlebag supports

More
22 Jun 2012 13:28 #531018 by nervousjay
Hello, KZ'rs!

I didnt see an existing thread for this issue, so my apologies in advance if I missed one:)...

Heres my issue; I'm taking a long road trip on my (mostly) rebuilt kz550 ltd, 1982. I need to get some decently sized saddlebags, and the problem is that most of them I've found will flop into the rear wheel without some sort of saddlebag support, which I'm finding out is harder to come by than I thought for old KZ's..
SO, my question(s)..a. does anyone know where I can look to find such things?, and b. if I end up having to fabricate something, what should I be keeping in mind, in terms of where the brackets mount on the frame..any help, tips, leads, or advice would be great, and I'd also be willing to open up ye 'olde paypal for anyone thats got a set of em:):).. Cheers, thanks, and have a good weekend everyone!!

-Jay.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2012 14:43 - 22 Jun 2012 14:44 #531021 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic Help and/or parts wanted: saddlebag supports
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI've had my eye on something like this for a while, but other things keep pushing it down on the priority list.

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser
Last edit: 22 Jun 2012 14:44 by Mullineaux.

More
22 Jun 2012 16:34 - 22 Jun 2012 16:43 #531041 by Patton

nervousjay wrote: ...need to get some decently sized saddlebags, and the problem is that most of them I've found will flop into the rear wheel without some sort of saddlebag support...if I end up having to fabricate something, what should I be keeping in mind, in terms of where the brackets mount on the frame..

Am thinking the rear turn signals may interfere with fitment of soft saddlebags placed over the passenger seat.

Could consider relocating the rear turn signals to a bracket fabbed to fit behind the license tag.

The added bracket provides handy additional locations for hooking bungee cords.

For the bike at hand, the added under-tag bracket might allow a bungee cord (or a more stable fixture) to run between it and the upper shock mount to serve as a stand-off. A metal stand-off could be designed and fabricated which might also incorporate attaching to the now unused holes where the turn signals mounted.

Just some possible ideas.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jun 2012 16:43 by Patton.

More
22 Jun 2012 17:14 #531052 by Patton
Hoping these might help inspire, ... mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative .... :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
27 Jul 2012 15:12 #539031 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Help and/or parts wanted: saddlebag supports
Just use 50cal ammo cans. lol

I bought a pair of saddle bag brackets at a thrift shop. She didn't know what they were. Never put them on though.It would require drilling a hole in my sissy bar bracket, so I haven't done it. I've been thinking of just running an ammo can on one side, but haven't done that either.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD